Tai Chi

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tai Chi

Postby Lindilou » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:42 am

My partner and I are going to try Tai Chi, he's done it before but not myself. Has anyone tried this and if so how did you feel?
Lindilou

Re: Tai Chi

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:12 am

Tai chi and Pilates were suggested to my by my rheumy nurse. She said definately not yoga due to lots of twists. I chose to do Pilates which really does help me a lot. So if tai chi doesnt work, I can recommend a great Pilates DVD x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby sweetCaroline » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:52 pm

hi this is my first post so hope it works- im a forum newby but a FMS veteran :) before i developed Chronic Fatigue/ Fibromyalgia Syndrome CF/FMS, i was a nurse for 20 years so i dont 'advise' anything to anyone else unless ive researched tried and tested it myself thoroughly , having said that different strokes etc apply to CF/FMS more than any other syndrome i know of-
i was diagnosed in 2005 at rheumatology Royal Infirmary in glasgow (though think my symptoms started when my son was born 19 years ago) i joined a Tai Chi class soon after and haven't looked back my first teacher was amazing but when he left i experienced 2 not very good teachers (they meant well though)so i just keep doing what i have learned so far at home until i find another 'treasured teacher'
Tai Chi is not a quick fix- progress is slow but steady (the old masters, when teaching new students would take about 6 months just to teach the initial stance) but don't worry it doesn't have to be that slow- its important though to keep trying 'teachers ' until you find one who is good at teaching and who lives the philosophy of tai chi as a moving meditation, i can even practise when i am fatigued and that has to be good i will stop waffling on now and hope you take my advise and find a class locally until you can practice at home
p.s. my other lifeline is hanging onto a sense of humour no matter what! no mean feat with this friggin diagnosis im sure you'll agree
sweetCaroline
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lindilou » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:01 pm

thank you sweetCaroline, slow is good and I'm really pleased it worked for you. I'm going to start very slowly and see waht happens. Thanks for sharing your experiences. :-D
Lindilou

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi,

I started this on Friday at the hospital and really liked it. I was a bit worried when we started and had to do some salute thing (!), but it was very slow and easy, and yet afterwards I did feel like I'd done something! We get 6 sessions, then I think they offer evening classes but will have to wait to find out. I did notice that I was concentrating so much on breathing and the moves that I didn't feel as much pain, well apart from a very loud crack in my knee when I tried to 'sink diown'. Hmm won't be trying that again!

My only concern is that for one move (you move your right foot forward and right) I was twisting my knee a little, and I can't because I have knee problems. Other than that though, it felt useful.

Is anyone else doing this?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:48 pm

Zia2014 wrote:Hi,
I did notice that I was concentrating so much on breathing and the moves that I didn't feel as much pain,

That is the same kind of effect the Alexander Technique has...anything that helps you relax and let go of muscle tension will help with pain. That's a great start, hope it continues to be useful for you :) And don't worry if you hear cracks when you move - my joints crack and creak all the time :lol:
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:52 am

Thanks Carol :)

Err cracks aren't good! I forgot until I heard it that the knee doc had said don't squat/lunge/bend using your knees :nono: Whoops!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:37 pm

Zia2014 wrote:Thanks Carol :)

Err cracks aren't good! I forgot until I heard it that the knee doc had said don't squat/lunge/bend using your knees :nono: Whoops!

Oh dear...my knees crack every time I straighten my legs :oops:
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Oh no I just meant mine! Cracks are to do with my knee condition so I'm not supposed to put any pressure on them.

Normal cracks are okay..! :mrgreen:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Zia2014 wrote:Oh no I just meant mine! Cracks are to do with my knee condition so I'm not supposed to put any pressure on them.

Normal cracks are okay..! :mrgreen:

:-D
carolad
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping