Losing weight but too painful to exercise

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Losing weight but too painful to exercise

Postby katknapp » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi all,
i desperately want to lose weight and get a bit fitter,but im not able to do anything like aerobics or zumba etc as i end up stuck in bed for 3 days, i love swimming which i do once a week but its not enough to lose any weight, is there any other forms of low impact exercise i could do? any suggestions? im hoping it will reduce the pain anddddd hopefully drop a size :-D

cathyx
katknapp
UKFM Newbie

Re: Losing weight but too painful to exercise

Postby rich44 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:39 pm

I initially bought an electric bike as my employer does interest free 12 month loans for bikes and when well it enabled a completely unfit fms sufferer to bike 10 miles to work.

Mine has a throttle so you don't have to pedal at all or pedal assist and what a difference that makes its wonderful I recommend it to anyone especially if you try before you buy.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:23 pm

There are sit and fit exercises all done while sitting down, your local hospital will probably have a weight management course you can get a referral from your doc and will include these type of exercises plus other options too
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi hun x

You don't have to exercise to lose weight. You just need to eat at a calorie deficit. I use myfitnesspal. Exercising helps it come off quicker and helps tone your body. But it's not the be all and end all x Swimming sounds great. Well done x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:48 pm

I got some past their best before slimfast milkshakes dead cheap from approved food the other day £1 per tin of powder bargain.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby katknapp » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:16 pm

I tried weight watcher meals and they were quite nice and i started to lose weight,problem is they get a bit boring after a while lol,and then normal food starts creeping in,i did wonder about an exercise bike as i could then use it at my own pace :-?
katknapp
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:36 pm

To be honest the best thing to get to grip with is portion control.

What I've done in the past is cook a big batch of food in the slow cooker then divide it up in freezer bags in reasonable portion size by weight and freeze it, hey presto instant ready meals.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:21 pm

Theresa is right - the key to losing weight is diet, not exercise. If you can exercise as well, that will help but you will never lose weight by exercise alone. Good tips here about portion control - if you look at the recommended intakes, that will give you a good guide. I'm not really a fan of 'faddy' diets like meal replacements, because you are likely to put it all back on once you start eating 'normally' again....it is eating 'normally' that makes you put on weight. So you have to change your eating habits for good - either by cutting down portion sizes or making better choices of food. Good luck with it!
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:26 pm

Yes portion control is a must. And I agree about diets too. They work short term. You need to make a lifestyle change. I eat whatever I want within a calorie limit. Once I'm used to portion sizes and calories etc. I will stop counting as such. Its learning a new way of eating. I've done this without counting calories but back then I exercised my bottom off lol I would advise not cutting out things that you enjoy as you are more likely to either fail or binge or both.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:45 am

katknapp, weightloss is best achieved through diet/portion/calorie control. Science studies have proved exercise is good for increasing metabolic rates and improving fitness, but not necessarily weight loss. Its also known that muscle weights more than fat, yet fat takes up more room in the body than muscle. So how does one loss weight with Fibro?

Firstly individuals with Fibro and a 25% slower motabolism that means for the average healthy female to maintain her weight she would be taking 2000 calories a day and a male would be 2500. With Fibro it would be 25% less. So for fibro females trying to maintain there current weight, they would be best to eat around 1500 calories and a fibro male 1875 calories.

If you want to lose weight then to lose just 1lb of weight a week you would need to reduce your weekly calories intake by 3,500, that equates to 500 a day. This would mean for a woman with fibro wanting to loose 1lb of weight a week she would need to be taking in only 1000 calories per day, which is not a lot.

I would suggest that if you want to lose weight, you first have to accept its going to be a much slower process than the average individual and I would aim at most to try and lose just a half pound a week, which equates to 2lbs a month. You have to be realistic, if you starve yourself of calories you could trigger fatigue. I found the optimum daily amount for a fibro female to be around 1250 calories per day for a 2lb monthly loss, without triggering fatigue and still allowed you to do some gentle exercise.

Hope this gives you some basic guidance on top of the portion control everyone has mentioned.
With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:20 am

You need to work out your calories you burn just being alive then find how much you burn moving about and drop into the middle of those two. http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calor ... -fast-day/ Ignore the diet bit on there, its a calculator to help you work out what you should be eating. I lost two pounds in a week so not necessarily going to take you a month :-)
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:31 pm

Interesting question. A Gastric surgeon stated a mega obese patient weighing over 42 stone who was bed bound as a result and needing a gastric band couldn't lose weight as he could hardly move let alone exercise. And yet he miraculously shifted 12 kilos while in hospital on a severely reduced diet the week before his surgery.

On the diabetic forum a lot of the type2 diabetics who need to lose weight have chosen to try low carb diets , replacing carbohydrates with good fats and protein to shift weight and seems to say they're all losing lots of weight and improving their blood glucose control. But imagine they still have to keep an eye on the total calories eaten and make sure it's less than their total calorific requirement.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:13 pm

I have found Slimming world to be the best plan for me having lost 3st in the past year.

I even lost 1lb over the Christmas period :-D

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:32 am

When it comes to losing weight and eating plans, it is as individual as we are, just like our fibromyalia. You have to try things out and see what works best for yourself personally. Over many years I have tried various dietry plans. I have even been refunded money from three major slimming clubs, Weight Watchers, Scottish Slimmers and Slimming World, when I actually gained weight on their plans, and I am meticulous in dietry plans, measurements, spreadsheets etc etc.

I did the Atkins and was very successful 3 stone in 3 months, but it left me weak, fatigued and with serious hair loss despite my nutrient levels being okay, but it did cause liver function issues. So not one I wouldrecommend as a longterm plan.

The new 5/2 diet again highly recommended, but for individuals with CFS/FMS, not so good, as the two days of extremely low calorie intake can trigger a fatigue and pain flare-up. Its highly recommended that individuals with CFS/FMS be consistent, not just with exercise,pacing, routine, but food, which we all know is hard to do, but try our best to achieve.

For myself the diet plan that was most successful was the DUKAN Diet, as there are 4 stages to this plan, and each stage lets you reintorduce food you removed when losing weight, it actually helped me establish trigger foods which made my fibro worse and highlighted issues with sulfites in food. Higher the sulfite content, more symptom issues especially the IBS.

But which ever plan you choose you will if you count the calories of what your eating, they all work within the range of a women being around 1500 per day if losing weight, but as we are told peole with FMS metabolic rates are 25% lower than the average individual, so you have to take this into account also.

I have lost weight fast only to gain it fast,I lost weight slow and found it more maintainable.

There are only two books about dieting and eating I found helpful. There is a lot of psychology to eating, as food to humans is very much an emotional thing these days than a need. The two self help books I work with, rather than diet books are "Overcoming Weight Problems" by Jeremy Gauntlett-Gilbert and Clare Grace,which is CBT based therapy and "The Diet Trap" by Jason Lillis based on a mindfulness approach, using third wave therapy, which combines ACT & CBT. One of the most helpful books I have ever read.

Deep down we all know how to look after your weight, yet we fail time and time, because the core issue of why we eat never truly gets looked into, nor the true reason for wanting weight loss.....I found getting weight off was easier than keeping it off till I finally looked into my own emotional behaviour to all of it, why I wanted to be slim, why and when I ate and the types of foods, why I broke away from my goals etc....This helped more than anything in achieving steady weight loss and not feel a sense of deprivation whilst trying and to not feel like a punishment when maintianing.

Diet and weight loss and exercise is all good but if the mindset is not nurished as well, then weight gain or failure for weight loss tends to be the resultant effect.

Just my opinion from a very experienced past yoyo dieter.
With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping