Help me i cant sleep :(

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help me i cant sleep :(

Postby Sharplucky2 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:26 am

Hi guys,

Ive had fibro now for 5 years but over the last few months it has been the worst it has ever been resulting in no sleep and horrible pain the worst part of me that hurts the most is my hips and i just cant get comfortable.

Currently medication wise im on 8 x 50mg tramadol a day 2 x 500mg naproxen a day and 1 x 20mg omeprazole a day, the omeprazole is obviously for the naproxen, but the only tiny relief i get is from the tramadol but still with every step i take it feels like im walking with broken hips, and the medication doesnt help at all at night, ive tried pregabalin which didnt really help also tried amitriptyline which knocked me out so much which was great for sleeping but horrible as i couldnt get up and that was only on 10mg!

I just seem to get to night time turn eveything off and close my eyes and relax but all i can feel is this pulsating pain in my hips and i cant get confortable, ive been off work now for 2 weeks as ive not been sleeping and ive not been able to get up without being in tears, i really dont know what to do with myself.

Due to see a new rheumatologist (when the secretary actually calls me back)
But i dont feel like i can ask my GP for anymore medication as the only thing they see is that im 21 years old and that i shouldnt be on this much medication and they dont want to add to it but i dont know what to do?

Any help!!

Xx
Sharplucky2
UKFM Member

Re: Help me i cant sleep :(

Postby denys » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:39 pm

HAve you tried a warm bath with something relaxing in it before bed :?: :?: :?: Water bottles or heat pads on your hips may help a bit too,

Lack of sleep is a fact of fibro for some and it is really horrible, I know you dont want to bother the doc but I would go back to see if there is anything different he can give you to help. Your age shouldnt really come in to it, you need help even if it is only in the short term to get you back on your feet :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:33 pm

There is a another topic running on a very similar subject Here. Maybe have a looky at some of the replies to see if there might be something helpful for you to try.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Gracious » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Sharplucky2, two of the medications you are taking have side effects that can create difficulty sleeping, the Naproxen and Omeprazole. If you take Omeprazole in the evening it can impact your ability to sleep even more. Tramadol will make you feel tired and sleepy, but not necessarily let you get a sleep.

Firstly I would look at making things more comfortable for you too sleep. I have had chronic insomnia for 2 years but slowly regaining a bit more control now. All I can inpart is what I did that helped me. Firstly I thought it was my bed, so bought a new one, but no it made no difference in reducing pain, but then I invested in a 4inch memory foam topper.....absolute heaven :-) , reduced all the pressure soreness and eased deep aching pain in my bones. It allowed me to feel more comfortable about just lying and resting in bed, best investment I ever made. (Cheapest I found on a quick search for a double bed with topper cover is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Memory-Fo ... 4186db1d5a)

I was put on zopiclone 7.5mg (sleeping pill) but Z Drugs are addictive and they dont actually provide a proper sleep infact it just sedates you and then causes all sorts of additional side effects, increased brain fog, muscle weakness, cramping, carb cravings etc, and eventually you become tolerant of them and need higher doses, so I wouldn't recommend. I have weaned off them now (after taking them for over a year) with the help of a book I was advised to read 'The Sleep Book: How to Sleep Well Every Night' by Dr Guy Meadows. Its had the biggest impact in helping me to rest and sleep and would highly recommend to anyone.

It teaches you to realise that infact even normal individuals really only get 2-3 hours of REM sleep a night and the rest of the time we are in other rest phases. I helped me come to terms with being happy to be resting and how to deal with the business of my mind when I try to sleep, which gets very busy when in pain.

In my past I have been addictied to all sorts of natural and medical remedies believing I needed them for sleep and you get to be a bit OCD about bed time routines, which can work against you sleeping.If you haven't done the set routine you believe you wont sleep, and you dont surprise surprise. There are a lot of myths about sleep, a good rest can be just as helpful as sleep.

I'd look at making your bed more comfortable, in reducing pressure points, as your going to have pain if you have Fibro and pain shifts around the body all the time. Doing meditation, either a body scan or simply watching the breath can be very helpful too, when lying in bed. I even do a bit of self hypnosis. I am sure many from the forum could advise lots of different things to help.

Coming to terms with pain is hard and it does impact on your sleep. I have spent a long time coming to terms with my pain and to be more accepting to allowing it to be there rather than fighting and hating it, and I have had to do the same with my sleep too. Pain management courses cover this, as does the Breathworks course. If you cant attained one of these courses, here is a book which covers the things within these courses, (this was also recommnded to me by my pain managment psychologist), "Living Well With Pain And Illness: Using mindfulness to free yourself from suffering" by Vidyamala Burch.

Hope this is of some help
With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby Sharplucky2 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:19 pm

Thank you so much guys for all the advice, just had a look a look at the mattress toppers and we are going to get one so very looking forward to trying that out and hoping to see a difference, im going to see my doctor again on monday to see if there is anything further he can do, thank you for your time in replying guys xxx
Sharplucky2
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping