Having trouble lifting things

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Having trouble lifting things

Postby alice2411 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:28 pm

Does anybody else have trouble lifting pans or anything up?
alice2411
UKFM Member

Re: Having trouble lifting things

Postby denys » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:01 pm

Yes lots of us seem to have this issue, I cant lift anything so am unable to cook for myself its a complete pain in the proverbial :shock: :shock:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby TNK* » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:05 pm

I tend to get painful elbows, i am ok lifting some stuff but over a certain weight, i can only lift it to a certain height before it starts to hurt, tbh its not been too bad since ive been off work as i do a lot of lifting and carrying there and i think the rest has done me some good
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:21 pm

I'm ok with lifting things. I carried my six year old downstairs for the first time in ages as he's ill with flu :(
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Tally1068 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:30 pm

:( Cant lift anything nor can I do simple things like change a duvet cover.

It's more disabling than not being able to walk.
Tally1068
UKFM Member

Postby alice2411 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:05 pm

His long have u been suffering if u don't mind me asking
alice2411
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:06 am

I was diagnosed in Feb this year, sudden onset of symptoms in Jan this year. Have had years of lower back pain and sciatica on my left side that comes on randomly. Insomnia for maybe two years. I was diagnosed with arthritis last year and started using a cane on and off then. I didn't realise the pains were fibro related but they came and went.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby alice2411 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:48 pm

Do u also get pains in your stomach 2?
alice2411
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:03 pm

No I don't get stomach pains but I do get bloating. I was told around two yrs ago that I have ibs. No tests were done, gp went on symptoms alone x
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:26 am

I can't lift something heavy like a full kettle or pan cos my wrists just don't support my hand (if that makes sense).

Also if I carry an item of clothing on a coat hangar (like in a shop) my upper arm aches like I've lifted a weight :roll:

Worst of all are the occasional times I get when my hands seem to lose all grip and I can't grip a knife and fork properly. When that happens hubby has to cut up my food :oops: :cry: because I just can't grip the knife enough to do it myself.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:12 am

During a flare up i cannot lift a full kettle, but due to my elbows, my right arm is worst than the left so i usually lift with the right and support with the left.

making beds just puts me out of breath, its quite embarrassing as i am pretty healthy, I can swim a mile 3 times a week and barely break a sweat, but putting a duvet in a cover, is like an olympic race.
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Tally1068 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Mine started about 6 months ago when my shoulder osteoarthritis got really bad. As I cant walk they were taking all my weight on my walker that I use to get to the loo. Crutches were no longer an option either.

As I've said, I feel much more disabled not having the use of my arms except for light things like laptop and reading rather than not being able to walk.

But I'm not sure it's down to fibro. I blame severe arthritis and osteoporosis. I use my grab stick all the time, have made sure all things are stored in a box with a lid, as I'm clumsy, but always the Carer has to spend time picking up things I've dropped. I've accepted it, but put it down to aging with these disabilities.

I've found lots of people with fibromyalgia have multiple conditions.

All the best in getting the bending down bit, get a grabber if necessary! The lifting bit is so frustrating too. I used to love cooking , but that's a distant memory, as is being able to tidy up after myself.
Tally1068
UKFM Member

Postby WennyP » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:21 pm

dazzleship wrote:I can't lift something heavy like a full kettle or pan cos my wrists just don't support my hand (if that makes sense).

Also if I carry an item of clothing on a coat hangar (like in a shop) my upper arm aches like I've lifted a weight :roll:

Worst of all are the occasional times I get when my hands seem to lose all grip and I can't grip a knife and fork properly. When that happens hubby has to cut up my food :oops: :cry: because I just can't grip the knife enough to do it myself.

Sounds exactly the same as me, dazzleship! We have a set of those French cast iron saucepans that my late parents bought us as a wedding present 25 years ago - hubby has to do all the lifting of those - even when empty! (Might use my Nectar points and pay a visit to Argos for some lightweight ones ...)

The arm lifting thing is a nightmare - I play the violin, but it's very rare that I can play for more than ten minutes at a time - and that's pushing it! Had to give up my lessons, which was very hard for me to come to terms with. I've found a method for blowdrying my hair, though; I sit on a dining room chair with my back against the table, pull another chair up beside me and lean my elbow on it while holding the hairdryer and tilting my head. It's amazing how resourceful this condition makes you, isn't it!

As for the cutlery, with my sausage fingers (that get numb in the top joints a lot) it's usually a gamble as to what flies across the table first; the cutlery or the food!

Love and hugs to all :grouphug: xx
"No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings"
WennyP
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:16 pm

dazzleship wrote:I can't lift something heavy like a full kettle or pan cos my wrists just don't support my hand (if that makes sense).

I could have written this! I often have to support my hand/wrist when lifting the kettle. After ironing (something else I now find hard) I carry some clothes upstairs and the other day I was knackered after doing so!

And yes, the knife and fork thing occasionally gets me, it is so frustrating. I also nearly/do drop stuff a lot more, even the toothbrush :roll:

Gripping has also meant I have had to stop dying my hair as I used a mousse and couldn't squeeze it enough to get all of it out of the bottle. That bothered me more than the rest though, I am vain after all lol.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Theresa34 wrote:I was diagnosed in Feb this year, sudden onset of symptoms in Jan this year.

I can't believe you had a diagnosis so quickly Theresa! My symptoms also started in January and I got diagnosed last week.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Help / Tips on Coping