mobility aids

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

mobility aids

Postby clarabelle » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi all
Feeling very down just registered with mobility company which hires wheelchairs and scooters to go out and about, I've been putting of the need for help for such a long time, been into town for 1 hour today and got back home and that's it done in and things to do, does anyone else have this issue x
clarabelle
UKFM Newbie

Re: mobility aids

Postby denys » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:58 pm

Yes I think most of us will sympathise with you on this one and lots of us have had to start using/been using mobility aids so dont feel alone its not unusual and anything that helps you get around a little easier or to keep getting out and about is not to be sneezed at :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:23 pm

I use a cane when things are too bad but I'm lucky in that its usually only maybe twice a month. Hoping it doesn't worsen :shock:
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:47 am

Hi clarabelle

I had to start using crutches almost a year ago (wow already :shock: ) it is hard to get used to having to use something like that, but think of it this way. it is helping you to do things you want to do.

for me if I didn't have the crutches I wouldn't be able to still go to places that I can go to.

(I'm starting to get to the point where crutches maybe aren't enough anymore, but that's another story.)

don't be embarrassed at using them, they will help you. :hugs:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Helhit » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:25 am

Hi I use a walking stick and now will use a scooter if I need it. I haven't bought one yet, just use one if the shop I'm in has them , like Ikea.

I have registered with Morrison's and they give you a card that you can show at any of their stores to use the scooter there. I've noticed that asda and Sainsbury have scooters too. It's great to know they're there if you need them.

I'm now of the opinion that I would rather use everything and anything that will mean I can live life fully and not on the sidelines.
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby Lizzyear » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi,
I'm like helet who replied earlier to you, who said 'use anything you can that helps you get out and keeps you independant. I've had to use a walking stick for nearly 2 years and I bought a scooter to get round my village and a scooter that I can attach to a hoist in my car, just to keep me independant,means I can still go off on my own......not have to have the other half take me, who really hates shopping!! I also have had our bathroom re done to give me a bigger shower I can get into with a chair, also I don't have to step into the shower it's all the same level floor. I also have a perching stool, as I find it agony standing in one spot for more than a few seconds, this is supposed to help with things like stirring using the hob to cook, as can stand near it, but as yet haven't had the energy to try, be good for ironing too I would think. I also have a frame round my toilet so I can hold onto it as I sit down on the toilet and g
Hold on for support when I get up. I do have other medical conditions as well. But I use the philosophy that if it makes me able to do things as independently as possible, ill use it. Don't be afraid, how lucky that in this day and age there are these aids around!! Good Luck and well done, the first step is the hardest . X
Lizzyear
UKFM Member

Postby beckstar127 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi...
I have been having to use my walking stick for the passed week now and it's really starting to get me down.
I'm having to take so many pain killers to cope too. I'm waiting to hear back from neurology due possible spinal operation.
I'm so down all the time at the minute, I'm only 31 and I feel about 90.
Sorry to complain
Gentle hugs beckie
beckstar127
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping