Advice / help please!

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Advice / help please!

Postby mimildred » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi All

I am hoping that someone on here can offer me some advice!

I have started struggling with pain in my wrists and fingers and, after driving for an hour, resting for a couple of hours, then driving back I found my wrists really hurt and my fingers were cramping up around the steering wheel.

I am worried as in a few days time I have to do a trip of 3 hours each way to collect my daughter from a friend's house. There is no other alternative than to do the drive - her trip was arranged ages ago on the basis that my OH would take her and I would pick her up as he will be at work.

Anyone found anything useful or have any tips on how to stop this cramping or how to at least reduce it a little please?

Ta,
Mimildred
mimildred
UKFM Member

Re: Advice / help please!

Postby splashy0910 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:25 pm

Hi try using therapy putty, it's like playdough and will gently exercise your fingers.
Splashy0910 :lol:
splashy0910
UKFM Newbie

Postby Graciebaby » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:58 am

Hi,
I suffer with a lot of pain in my hands. The only thing that seems to ease it a little is Naproxen, which is for inflammation.
Maybe have a word with your GP to see if you can have some prescribed? Of course, I have no idea what medication you are already taking or what you might have tried in the past, I just thought it worth suggesting.

I hope you are able to make your journey. Be sure to try to take regular breaks whilst driving so that you can move around and stretch for a few minutes. Ensuring that your hands keep warm helps to prevent them from stiffening up as much.
Be careful about taking painkillers before driving, as they may affect your ability to concentrate and might make you feel sleepy.

Take good care,

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:21 pm

Mimildred, I get this pain all the time, partly due to fibro and to do with cervical herniated and bulging dics pressing on nerve roots, that affect my neck, shoulder, arms, wrists and hands. The wrist pain and hand/finger cramps, I found came from tight muscles in the upper arm and forearm.

There were several things I tried to help with this pain. Pain killers were ineffective, as I am so chemically sensitive. What worked for me was massage, stretching and voltarol gel. I would rub the gel onto my arms, wrist and hand, including fingers and massage at the same time. Once warmed up I would then do the stretches. The stretches are gentle, and when doing them you can also feel the stretch happening in the forearm too. Below is a link for some useful stretching I use. (Remember don't strain when doing them, just a gentle stretch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPO-zST-7EE

On my worst days I did use wrist straps, but I found this restrictive and sometime the compression added to my pain. It also weakened the muscles and ligaments in the end. For my long term mobility the massage, stretching and votatrol gel worked best for me. Most research states its tight forearm muscles, causing ligament strain in wrist hand and fingers.

As you only have a few days to prepare, I would make sure your well re-hydrated as this can cause cramping, do some gentle massage & stretching and before you journey off put some votarol gel on (Just remember not to rub your eyes if putting/leaving voltarol on your hands.). Any time you stop during your drive, do a few stretches to release tension build up in the muscles and ligaments. Do exactly the same on your journey back.

All of this should reduce the pain your experiencing, if not, then its definately a wee visit to the doctors to get it looked into.

Hope this is of some help.
With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping