Some thing to read

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Some thing to read

Postby rucc2 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:20 pm

Here is a study into what works best and not so good for people with fibromyalgia either by drugs given out by doctors and also other non medical treatments: A meta-analysis examining six core symptoms.

I have read through the data and done some cross referencing on those that showed promise.

It was interesting to note that the growth hormone induced a very substantial reduction in pain and a similar magnitude of improvement in functional neurological deficit. Both outcomes achieved large effect sizes with this biological intervention.

Sodium oxybate seemed to do well in reducing sleep disturbance so I looked it up and found it improves sleep architecture and increases the length of deep sleep stages, resulting in increased production of human growth hormone and changes in energy metabolism by acting on the GABAB receptor to quiet down the nervous system. Studies into sleep have shown how many quite serous illnesses can stem from poor quality sleep patterns where the nervous system does not allow the deep stages of sleep to happen.

The last is Pool/water exercise which showed consistent medium-to-large effects on all six core symptoms and seemed to do better than the drugs in some cases and some members on here have mentioned water therapy being very beneficial to them.

Your welcome to have a look and see what you think]

European Journal of Pain
Volume 18, Issue 8, September 2014, Pages: 1067–1080, S. Perrot and I.J. Russell
Article first published online : 19 AUG 2014, DOI: 10.1002/ejp.564
http://www.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/enhanced/doi/10.1002/ejp.564
rucc2
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping