Muscle spasms

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Muscle spasms

Postby keaedmondson » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Hi all,
Does anybody have any tips on how to deal with muscle spasms? I don't know if it's because of the cold but I seem to be getting them quite a lot at the moment. Sometimes when I try and stretch to do something and sometimes, like last night, frequently, just when I
trying to get to sleep and get comfortable!
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Re: Muscle spasms

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:17 pm

They are something that seems to affect quite a few of us at times. I find they are worse when I'm tired or upset/stressed. Sometimes massaging the twitchy bits of me can help settle things back down. From what I can recall, bathing in Epsom salts could have a beneficial effect, as could adding a magnesium supplement each day....I think :-? :-? :-? Have you tried using the Search box??? This comes up quite regularly, so there should be a number of mentions in amongst all the topics.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dazzleship » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:03 pm

hi

fluppy's suggestion of massage is a good one. I find that helps me with cramps and 'knots' that I get in muscles a lot. we recently bought a little massager from 'tiger stores' which is battery operated and is really good. :-) here is link in case you have a tiger store near you

http://www.tigerstores.co.uk/tiger_people/body_bath/massager_with_light_1400407.html

also a TENS machine I also find useful. definitely for cramping, uncomfortable pains I get in my legs.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby keaedmondson » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:09 pm

Thanks both! I will look into both these things. I do take magnesium but have stopped for the last few days because the pills I have are quite big and I'm finding hard to swallow and I find it impossible to break then in half … And it sounds stupid… But maybe that is one reason why the spasms are suddenly worse… I do have magnesium in my bath so I still am getting it and maybe in a better way…
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:53 pm

If its in my whole spine I cry, scream and wriggle around. Not great but, thats how badly it affects my spine. Thankfully it doesn't happen often! I did have a milder one in my back when I was lying down in bed. It felt more to my left side this time as opposed to the whole spine. I bought a heated under blanket which I had on at the time (every night in do fact) so all I could think of doing at that point was to lie as straight as I could and let the heat do the work. I use Epsom salts in my bath when I'm aching all over too. Recently ordered some supplements to see if it reduces my pain.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping