Itching!!!!!

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Itching!!!!!

Postby keaedmondson » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:44 am

Does anyone use anything to combat itching?

Some days I get really prolific itching all over my body instead of pain.

Does anyone know of anything which might relieve this? I'm not a massive fan of putting creams all over my body… But…

I would take antihistamine One-A-Day, but I think that adds to drowsiness? Has anyone found this works?
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Re: Itching!!!!!

Postby dazzleship » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:02 am

hi

I occasionally get bouts of itchiness and it's really annoying isn't it! I don't specifically do anything much about it other than scratch and wait for it to go away.

as for antihistamines I'm sure there are "non-drowsy" ones available that you could try. honestly don't know if they would help but no harm in trying :-)
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:54 am

I itched terribly until my thyroid was removed, now it is not as bad.

Your meds can could be the cause. I do take some where itching is a side effect.

I use a cream at times. It is called Aveena, has a dark blue cap and writing on a beige bottle. It is especially for itching, says on the front. It works even for chicken pox.

I also use surgical brushes that are used for scrubbing in, work really well. I buy them by the dozen. Also great for chicken pox as they don't break the skin.

Oatmeal baths can also help, make sure the water is not too hot. Aveena also sells oatmeal packs for soaking in the tub.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby keaedmondson » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks, I'll check this out.

Part Of the problem is,I'm starting to discover that obviously I scratch myself quite bad because I have marks on my body that I have no memory of putting there…
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:40 am

First things to rule out with itching is whether the cause is due to physical sensitivity or is due to your Fibro causing nerve endings to itch instead of pain.

If you run the blunt tip of a pencil down the underside of your forearm and it leaves a pink/red line which stays after a couple of minutes , is more likely to be skin sensitivity. In which case a non drowsy antihistamine could help, Also idea to check your washing machine filters , or run a wash with one of the w/m cleaners you can buy for a couple of pounds. Because machines are now designed to use minimum water etc, sometimes they get a bit bunged up and don't rinse clothes properly.

Another cause could just be dry skin which can be very itchy and happens a lot in winter when our skin is subjected to the central heating and dehydrates. Oatmeal baths and gentle body scrubs followed by a nourishing body lotion might help eg the Aveeno or even just Double Base cream which is cheaper , can be bought in a 500ml pump tub and you can also use as body wash if your skin is feeling very sensitive.

If it's your nerve endings acting up then other than medications prescribed to dampen down nerve signal transmissions, probably just something cool applied to the skin will help. You have my sympathy as constant itching can drive you mad.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:09 pm

I was awake most of last night with the itches! :pull-hair:

I have chronic hives & angeodemia. I also suffer dry skin, all these give me the itches :scream-1: can get unbearable!

I have been given a prescription anti-histamine which is non drowsy called Fenofexidine. I was also given Renitidine! apparently the two drugs work hand in hand to combat my itches.

I would suggest seeing what the underlying problem is then treating it. It could be anything from the nerve endings as they also give me the itches due to fibro which may be managed by a med that deals with the nerves like amitriptyline. If its sensitive skin then its looking and being careful what products etc you use. If its an allergy then you can have the anti-histamines and so forth...
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Are you taking tramadol? When I took two close together I had intense itching along with nausea and extreme tiredness. It was horrible :-x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby keaedmondson » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:13 pm

I have always got it quite frequently, when I don't have a bad pain day sometimes I get a bad itch day… But it has been worse since I went on duloxotine.
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping