Painful shins

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Painful shins

Postby BettyB » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi, I went for a quick 15 min walk around the bock during lunch both my rheumy and osteopath recommended walking. I got 5 mins when my shins started to hurt after 10 I felt as though they were about to break in 2 with every movement. Then I reached the alley that led back to work to find it shut off due to resurfacing so I had to walk back the same way. By the time I got back to work I was struggling not to breakdown. After 30 mins back at my desk it almost seemed as though it had never happened with exception of fatigue and a mild ache. Does anyone else get this? How do you cope?
BettyB
UKFM Member

Re: Painful shins

Postby Gracious » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:43 am

BettyB, I get this when walking. It was particularly bad when I had to give up my car and increase my walking distance to stay independant. It comes and goes, without much explanation really. I broke my walking down into 10-15 mins then rest (sit down in a cafe or bus stop, park bench etc), then walking again, I found this helped and it just took a wee while for my body to realise what I was now asking it to do. Introducing anything new will create a reaction, but thats all it is and your not damaging yourself. Its just like waking with morning stiffness, it wears off after a while.

It was unfortunate you had to walk further than planned, very small incremmental increases are best when trying out new things. Despite the pain you felt, your body will have benefited even though it may have screamed at you saying I dont like this. So long as your working within your pacing levels your helping yourself and your body stay strong, keep its muscle memory and keep working for you.

When I have had a flare or been bed bound a few days, I find when I walk again the pain in my shines returns with a vengence but my body soon learns I'm going to keep walking each day and eventually it settles down to doing what I am asking it to do.

Hope this is of some help
with loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby BettyB » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:16 am

Thank you Gracious. This is all so frustrating last year I climbed Snowdon and was due to do Ben Nevis this year, until all of his started and I struggled with the fatigue and lack of energy. I just can't believe it has all turned around so much! Thank you for your comments I will try smaller 10 min walks and build up as advised. How do you deal with the set backs I am extremely stubborn and pro undated I am very much feeling like a wuss, especially when I have to ask some to open bottles and such. :scream-1:
X
BettyB
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:33 pm

Yes I often get pains in my legs like this, it's one of the reasons I have just applied for a blue badge actually. After my flare up I found I could barely walk for 5 minutes. I'm a lot better atm but usually get pains and aches in my lower legs after walking for 15 minutes. I rest and try and plan my walking so I have somewhere to sit down (as I have no stick or chair). Sometimes I feel so frustrated because I used to walk for ages without this problem, but I'm trying to adapt.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Gracious » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:54 am

BettyB, When it comes to set backs/flares, I try to work at being accepting of them, afterall if I was to get upset and fight against it, it will only make things worse and create alot of emotional struggle/pain too. If I flare I just re-adjust me pacing and types of activity. I set up list of things I can do when in a flare so I can quickly see I can still function and have a life, just in a different way, till the flare settles down.

I find dealing with the practical aspects of fibro easier than the emotional and mental ones. For me fibro is difficult but manageable, whereas depression and stress management are my biggest challenge, and I continuously work on these. Its diferrent for everyone.

As for being stubborn, so long as its helpful and works towards a better you nothing wrong in that. Stubborn works when you want to get healthier/fitter/stronger, but not if your pushing beyond your pacing levels, that's you working against yourself and your the one that will pay. As for asking for help, even to open a bottle or jar, no shame in that. There are helpful gadgets out there to aid in these things. I tend to use dad or anyone around, then say "I weakened that for you", when they open it with such ease. Sometimes mum and I have a right giggle as we both attempt various ways to open a beetroot jar, its like a game of pass the parcel till out hands cramp up so much we go without the beetroot. But if we do achieve it, you'd think we had won a strongman competition, what a celebrations we have. If out and about and on my own and cant open a bottle of water I bought, yep I'll ask a complete stranger. I dont explain why I need them to open it, I just ask if they could...after all I am thirsty and want to drink my water.

Our heads can make things very complicated for us. The mind never stops churning out problems and worries as well as helpful and unhelpful solutions. Its a question of balance and always saying is what I am doing thinking and feeling helpful or unhelpful to me. Does what I am doing move me towards what I am trying to achieve for myself or away fromit. If its away change it.

The biggest thing your dealing with is the change from being able to do so much physical stuff....but you can still do a lot of things, its just going to be done differently and possible looking towards newer pursuits. If you like being at the tops of mountains look for ones that have chair lifts or cable cars, still allow yourself that feeling and pleasure of the beauty that can only be experienced from a mountain top.

Be open and flexible to being adaptable.

Two weeks ago I was referred by my GP to A&E after 7 days of extreme pain, pacing down to less than an hour. Last week worked my pacing for 1-2hrs per day, this week pacing back to 2-3hrs per day, taking walks, doing my stretches, working on my craft projects...life goes on. Its not the one I originally planned, its very different infact, but its still a living life. There are good days and bads days, but wouldn't there have been them with or without fibro...

With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby BettyB » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:56 pm

Hello Gracious,

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom they have made me look at things in a different light. Christmas has been very difficult and different this year. I have had my frustrating moments but it has also shown me that my family and friends are there for me and have offered help where I would normally have struggled.some times even before I have thought of it. I held a family day today for my nephews birthday and was so busy sorting out food and moving tables etc around, that it wasn't until he showed up with his parents that I realised that I hadn't even written his card or wrapped his presents. I just hadn't got that far down my mental list. I've never done this before and expected a snide comment from my sister in law, but instead she kindly gave me a hug and asked if I wanted her to go and wrap or help setting up the table. It is very strange how people you least expect turn out to be your pillows of support. Your outlook is truly inspirational. As of yet the defeat of not climbing the mountain is still great, but the smaller things I am adjusting to. I wish you a lovely and pain free new year and thank you and everyone else for your comments and support. Xxxxxx
BettyB
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:21 pm

BettyB, I just wanted you to know, after reading your response and my own message to you again, it was this that inspired me to start taking up my photography again after a year and a half break. It got me thinking about things I had given up due to this illness.

First it was my hill walking and taking landscapes, plus my street photography, then I adapted and started taking landscapes that were in easy reach from the car, then that got too much and so I moved into doing studio photography, till my body could no longer take it and stopped.

In writing to you it made me realised I would benefit greatly if I too took my own advice, and so I started taking photographs again.

Thank you for helping me too and I hope you're doing well this year.

With loving kindness
Gracious
Gracious
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping