How Much Is Too Much??

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How Much Is Too Much??

Postby GayleRuth1978 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:33 am

Hi All,
As always I'm on here scrounging for some advice and hoping to dip into this wealth of knowledge and experience on here!
I'm off on holiday in a couple of days with my husband, my 2 year old and my inlaws. Any tips on pacing?
I find it really hard to know when I've done too much before its too late.
I'm scared of ending up exhausted and not being able to do anything - over Christmas we had lots on and I just ended up crumpled on the couch in tears because I was in so much pain and exhausted.
I dont want to upset my daughter and let everyone down.
Are their any triggers that I can look out for?
All tips and advice welcome!

XXXXX
GayleRuth1978
UKFM Member

Re: How Much Is Too Much??

Postby denys » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:23 pm

Rest before you become too tired, 10 minutes on the task and 10 minutes sitting down. Break things down into smaller parts and do one at a time. Enjoy your holiday
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby dazzleship » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:19 pm

what sort of holiday are you going on if you don't mind me asking? I mean, is there going to be activities and potentially walking about, or is it a rest and relax in a cottage type of holiday?

I can't really add to what Denys has said - just go slowly if you are walking about, take regular rests even before you start to feel tired.

and most of all relax and enjoy yourself! don't worry too much about it cos that will definitely make things worse.

hope you have a nice time anyway :-) xx
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby GayleRuth1978 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:09 am

Hi,
We had a week in Tenerife and then a weeks cruise round the islands.
The first night I couldnt leave the room, I was throwing up and had no energy which happens to me quite alot - I think I was overtired.
After my bones got used to the bed I was ok. I took part in the aqua aerobics everyday and used the heated pool and the jaquzzi. We walked everyday and I have to say I felt better for it. That is until we came back home to the cold and the damp and I'm back to where I started before I went on holiday. :yikes:

xxx
GayleRuth1978
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:46 pm

I missed your post before but I am still trying to work pacing out! When I have a good day I do too much because things need doing. If I have appointments I can't miss them so I push myself, and I have to drive to them. If I want to see friends I push myself and again, I have to drive.

I went on holiday not long after my diagnosis and all the planning and prep I did to avoid crashing went to pot, we had to move because the beds were rock hard and ended up in a hotel that was 5 minutes walk from the metro - not far but far enough that every morning I was already knackered before I even went down the stairs to the metro!

I think this is one of the changes I am struggling with the most - how to make something of life without exhausting myself all the time!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Gracious » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:50 pm

When I did the Breathwork Course, which is a course specific to pain and illness, similar to the pain management course, we were given some daily activity sheets to fill in to help use establish our baseline of activity. Now I can look into finding this booklet and get the info for you guys if you want to give it a try.

You first fill in the daily activity sheets for 7 days, noting the activities your do and the selecting a pain level, as well as a tension level (what your feeling within yourself, emotionally and physically) and show where pain has decreased, increased, remained level or when at rest.

Below I have attached the activity logs I set up on PDF.
Daily Activity Diary Sheet Blank Sampler PDF.pdf
(93.48 KiB) Downloaded 312 times

This would allow you to get started and over the next week I can get the anaylsis sheets ready for you. Which will allow you to then really look and see, what your baseline is, what activities help to maintain function, which increase pain and which decrease pain.

I have also attached a one day example for you that I did several years ago and you will see I wasn't very good at my own pacing then, I was more at the push/crash stage back then, it was before diagnosis so no wonder I was getting it all wrong.
Daily Activity Diary Sheet Example PDF.pdf
(111.05 KiB) Downloaded 300 times

See how you get on and as promised will get the evaluation and analysis sheets up by the end of the week.

Hope this is of some help to you.
With loving kindness
Gracious
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks Gracious, I've got similar to that already. However, I find that If I try and scale back my week so it only includes essentials (to me at the moment that's health appts) then I am (a) still exhausted and (b) have no life!! So I know I am doing too much, but don't really want to know how little is the right amount if you get me?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Gracious » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:18 pm

No worries Zia, I totally understand what your talking about. Thanks for letting me know.

With loving kindness
Gracious
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:45 pm

Hopefully other people will find it useful still x
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby GayleRuth1978 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:40 am

Hi Zia2014,
Thanks so much for your advice and help.
I'm due to start a course at the pain clininc with OT at the hospital. I've been told that this is the kind of thing we'll be doing so its great to have a sneaky peak.
Its made me think about the way I do things. However I do agree also with the previous comments that when I scale it all down I'll have no life at all!!
I think it might be a work in progress!

Thanks Again
xxx
GayleRuth1978
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:23 pm

We're covering it on our course too, apparently it's now 'energy budgeting' rather than 'pacing' :roll: But anyway, they said we should not do things we feel we 'ought' to do but that that world won't fall apart if we don't.

Tbh though, things like ironing (not even everything!), washing up, preparing food/drink...it all *needs* doing to me. So I'm not sure what I can cut out.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:52 am

Glad you had a good holiday in the end GayleRuth. :-)
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping