Dvla and medications

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dvla and medications

Postby donnamyatt » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:34 am

Hi. I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia since October, but have certainly had symptoms for a long time before then. My GP has been great. I'm now taking 100mg Zomorph twice a day. Pregablin twice a day and amitriptylin 100mg in the evening. I'm still not pain free but I'm trying. Last week someone brought to my attention about the DVLA and the fact that if you were on some certain medications that you will be unable to drive. Has anyone else heard of this? Can anyone else help me? Thanks you.
donnamyatt
UKFM Newbie

Re: Dvla and medications

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:23 pm

They have a list of conditions you have to inform the DVLA about but Fibro isn't on it. Not sure about medications but they do say if they make you drowsy you should inform them. If you google I'm sure it's on their website somewhere.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:57 pm

As Zia said there's nothing specifically about Fibro itself that has to be mentioned to the DVLA. but it will be more to do with your medications if how they affect you.

On the leaflet inside the medications I think it should say something about whether you might have problems driving while taking them? Not entirely sure about that though.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:02 pm

I agree with the ladies above me. You're allowed to keep your licence. If meds make you sleepy, then you must use your own judgement x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Agree with Theresa, I try really hard not to drive if I've had a particularly bad night. I also make sure I get up a few hours before I need to go out to give myself time to have coffee, a shower, and wake up. Sounds counter intuitive I know, but I can't just get up and rush out of the door!

I'm also careful of taking meds that might make me drowsy and the first time I take them is usually a day when I don't have to go out, so I know what effect they have.

I always think if I have an accident and someone gets hurt because I'm tired, I would never forgive myself.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:22 pm

On the doctors advice I have had to surrender my licence, this is due to medications so if in doubt take advice
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:26 pm

Okay I found this, which is very detailed (maybe too much!).

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... /aagv1.pdf

It lays out an awful lot of conditions towards the end in a table with the impact on driving licences.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping