Help for my Mum

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help for my Mum

Postby FloralEscape » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:52 pm

Hello Guys,

I am really sorry if this isn't the correct place to post but was wondering if I could get some advice?

My mum has only been diagnosed recently with Fibromyalgia so is still new to everything, she is basically in a state so I have decided to do some research on her behalf. I was wondering what people do about from medication for the pain, what other things do you do to try and ease the pain.

She cannot sit for more than 15mins in one position and is constantly changing position as she is in so much pain (which is so hard to see) she only gets about 3 hours sleep a night as well. Is there anything you can recommend to make sleeping more bearable?

Again, thank you so much for your help in advance.

Rebecca
FloralEscape
UKFM Newbie

Re: Help for my Mum

Postby Hannah24 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:14 am

Hi,

Sorry to hear your news and it sounds like your doing the right thing and that is supporting her. Everyone is so different with their pain and efforts to ease it but the one thing we can all agree is that the best thing for anybody with a chronic pain condition is the need for support and understanding.

As I said everyone is different but my two lifesavers for sleep are a Tempur mattress (it's like my bed is hugging me back) and the drug amitriptyline. I am on various other drugs etc, have tried lots of different techniques and equipment but these have been the most effective in helping me sleep. It's not perfect and it never will be, but it's so much better. I have also brought a super king size bed as it helps me spread out, not wake my husband up when up moving about and it stops me from noticing him wiggling.

Other people may disagree and have their own ideas, as some things work for some and not for others but this is what helps me - somewhat anyway.

I hope she finds something that helps her. Take care!
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Postby jacson » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:35 pm

Hello and commiserations to your mum, I was diagnosed several years ago and it has taken me quite a while to get to grips with managing my pain relief, after trying many different types of pain killers I have now just about got the mix right, 50mg Amitriptylene taken early evening so that it has time to work by bed time, also 60mg co-codamol, two to three times a day, I also drink up to about four pints of water a day this helps keep my muscles hydrated, I notice a difference in pain levels if I don't keep up with the water.
I hope your mum gets some relief from this horrible condition, sending gentle hugs. :-D
jacson
UKFM Member

Postby FloralEscape » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:36 pm

Hello,

Thank you so much for your loving responses, it's so hard to see someone you love in so much pain and you can't do anything for them :(

She is on something called Lyrica at the moment, but doesn't seem to be doing anything :( the amount of gels she rubs into her joints is insane, and always has a hot water bottle on the go.

Has anyone got any tips for coping at work, she works 5 days a week Monday to Friday but she can't really cope with this at the moment either, but of course can't leave due to financial issues. It sucks so much :(
FloralEscape
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:38 pm

:welcome: to our little FibroFamily Rebecca :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

With you asking for help and advice for your mum, I've popped you over into here as it's a more suitable board, and you shouldn't drop down the board as quickly as you might have done where you had originally posted xx

Sorry to hear that your mum has recently been told she has FM. Lyrica can make quite a difference to some with FM. It is thought to help calm down a lot of the electrical hyperactivity in the brain, which in turn can help reduce the number of pain signals whizzing around the body. It can take time for this to happen tho, in some cases it can be as long as 3 months, whereas some have said they have felt benefits within 4~6 weeks. How long has your Mum been taking it, and have their been any changes in the dose she takes??? Just wondering as, usually, the dosage is increased over a period of time to the maximum amount or level prescribed by her doctor, and it's with this increase in dosage, as well as allowing sufficient time for it to build up in the body that the best effects can be achieved.

Finding out about the condition, as well as giving her support and understanding, are some of the best things you can do to help your mum. Sometimes all we want from someone is for them to hold our hand and just say that they will be next to us as we try and find our way thru all the frustrations and upset as we try to find the best way possible to live life with FM.

Has your mum spoken to her employer about her FM dx??? If not, it might be something for her to consider doing as, once an employer is advised that an employee has an illness or disability which can affect how they are able to perform their duties/job, under The Equalities Act, the employer has a legal obligation to look into whether "Reasonable Adjustments" can be made which will help the employee to continue working effectively with their illness/disability taken into consideration. Exactly what constitutes "reasonable Adjustments" can be very varied, depending on the individual, the nature of, and way their illness/disability affects them, the type of employment involved and a whole host of other possibilities that could add something to the mix.

If your mum were to consider reducing the number of hours she works, she may become eligible to claim some benefits, which could help with her financial situation. If working fewer hours was something she wanted to look into, seeking advice and help from someone who is familiar with the system would be the thing to do. If she were able to do this before making any definite decisions, it would possibly help show if it was a viable option to follow before she started making definite and final decisions.

There were other things I had thought of, but typically my mind has gone blank at that wrong moment :facepalm: :facepalm: Maybe have a looky around the boards and see if there are other things that might be helpful, or you could get your mum to have a looky and a read with you to see if there is something that stands out to her that could be of use.

Anything else that you, or your mum might be wondering about, then please just ask away. Peoples visiting the forum may have some replies that could prove helpful, or at the very least, give you a bit of a giggle which is always a good thing to do each day xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Bobby16 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi I've been struggling at work. It's the financial drop that's stopping me at the moment. I don't know what's out there or what's available.
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping