Mobility aids

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Mobility aids

Postby NaomiHelen » Tue May 02, 2017 11:49 am

Hello!
So I am having a pretty silly issue right now and I am wondering if I just need to suck it up or if someone else has any tips for me. I am 26 and work full time. I was very active and always dragging my friends to the gym or for a walk. Now I am stuck finding myself struggling to walk. I have borrowed a pair of crutches from my friend which are fine for now but a massive pain for my hands. My grandma has suggested her walker but I am 26 and I am really embarrassed using crutches in public let alone a walker or zimmer.... I am really tempted by a wheel chair as less embarassing but don't want to not use my legs at all! I really don't know what to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NaomiHelen
UKFM Member

Re: Mobility aids

Postby *Lisa* » Tue May 02, 2017 4:33 pm

I know the feeling, took me ages to pluck up the courage just to use a walking stick. I didnt go out because of it then my back went (another issue) and I had no choice and still feel a little embaressed but people seem to be very kind rather then the stares I imagined! I get doors opened for me, people offering to give up their seats and more :-D this has built up my confidence.

You can get some real nice walking sticks with bright colours and paterns over the internet so it looks good so to speak. Maybe have a browse round and see if you come across some you like. Just a thought.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: Mobility aids

Postby NaomiHelen » Tue May 02, 2017 4:55 pm

Yeah I am definitely open to the idea. I just feel like I will look silly if that makes sense! Will have to have a nosey around. I'm glad it's not just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NaomiHelen
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping