Any of you with dogs that pull...

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Any of you with dogs that pull...

Postby NaomiHelen » Sat May 06, 2017 2:17 am

... i have found something that helps a lot! So I have a staffy crossed with a lab. He's fairly big and muscly and can easily drag my tiny 5'3 self. So as you can imagine I have had trouble now I am having to use 1 or 2 crutches almost everyday. He managed to pull me over and it was awful! So if any of you have felt my pain (surely I can't be the only one!) I have been working on getting him used to the Halti. Got the new optifit one. They're very good especially if you dog lunges! But it's the combination of that and a new lead that have helped so much. I got a barkwell one and it has an adjustable belt with 2 loops and a little pouch with zips for phone/money and such and it comes with a bungy lead that attaches to the belt. Completely absorbs any shock from pulling and being around my waist it leaves y hands free.

This has been a massive life saver as I have been panicking about not being able to walk him anymore as it wouldn't be fair in him. So I hope this helps some of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NaomiHelen
UKFM Member

Re: Any of you with dogs that pull...

Postby perseus » Sat May 06, 2017 9:15 am

Naomi, yes very much so, although he pulls less often now he's an adult. Even other people remark at how strong he is. He's a Lab cross with some Alsatian. (not the dog on my avatar)

I've been through all the variants of restraints, from harnesses to halti's. In general the halti's work best for restraining, but if he turns round and pulls back he can easily slip it off. My trainer made me use a head collar, which is another version of a halti which tightens around the nose when the dog pulls. Unfortunately, he started to develop swellings around the mouth so I only use it during lessons. I eventually settled on a harness, which attaches on the side, so it pulls him sideways if he lunges.

What I found important was not to take the strain by pulling with my arms, as it causes my muscle between the hip and backbone to strain badly. I have therefore made my own elasticated belt which takes the strain (paradoxically it is fitted around the hips). Can you give me a link to the halti and belt?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat May 06, 2017 9:46 am

I'm owned by a Springer {my profile piccie} which are a breed notorious/infamous for their pulling on the lead xx And if she's walked with either the lead attached to her collar, or wearing her slip collar, she'll pull and pull until her eye's are bulging at times, and she's coughing due to the tightness of her collar xx

She's 9 so we've tried various things as over the years. With the halt she somehow managed to get the bit that went under her chin I to her mouth and chewed thru it. With different headcollars, no matter how tightly we fastened them, she'd somehow get a front paw thru part of it which made walking pretty much impossible. She's also not quite conventional/brings shame to the Spaniel name as she isn't overly keen on going walkies xx

We eventually found a harness that helps, the Sport Harness from The Company Of Animals
http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/brand ... ll-harness
It's made a massive difference for me, esp during flare~ups as it means we can still go for a wander, even if it's just a short one xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby NaomiHelen » Sat May 06, 2017 9:48 am

That's good that you found something! It has taken me a while to get him used to wearing a halti, a good few days. But it was definitely worth it for me. I've tried loads of different harnesses and they just don't work for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NaomiHelen
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping