Dripping wet and hot skin

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dripping wet and hot skin

Postby Smartie50 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi everyone

I have just joined the forums after reading them for several years, as I have a couple of questions that I hope that you might be able to help me with. I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia three years ago although I am sure that I have been suffering with it for a lot longer than this.

I am constantly hot and this hot weather is not helping me, but I wonder if anyone else can tell me whether they suffer with dripping wet hair even after the slightest activity. Sometimes it happens even when I am just sitting watching tv :scream-1: I can be sitting there and then suddenly I feel sweat dripping down my neck, into my eyes and my hair is wet through! It is so embarrassing and I feel so dirty when my hair is dripping wet and as I straighten it is is suddenly a wavy sticking out mess. Has anyone found anything to help with this at all?

Also, I have been noticing recently that my skin feels like it is burning, but from the inside out especially on my arms. My skin has also been incredibly sensitive to the touch too, almost like I have been sitting in the sun for hours, when I know that I haven't. Any advice would be appreciated.

I apologise for the long post but I hope that someone will be able to help me. Have a good evening everyone xx
Smartie50
UKFM Newbie

Re: Dripping wet and hot skin

Postby Northernlass » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:51 pm

Hi, Smartie50, I was diagnosed with Fibro last year, but my symptoms began after contracting chicken pox in my early twenties. I have frequent hot flushes. I have had these for at about four years now. At first, I thought it was because I am a middle aged woman now and approaching menopause. But when I researched Fibro, sweating is also a symptom of Fibro, so there is never going to be an end to it. My hair is soaken wet in seconds as soon as I do any activity or even when resting. I find it embarrassing. And hate going out, especially in summer.

When I was in my mid thirties, I started to get red swollen rashes on my palms, arms and torso. It was extremely painful and itchy and felt like my skin was burning. And it was like I was scratching sunburn. I don't get the rashes anymore, not since having my gallbladder out, but I do sometimes feel like my skin is burning and prickly, particularly on my feet. And my skin is usually warm too, sometimes hot. I hate having the heating on in winter and can no longer wear thick warm clothing.

I don't know what advice I can offer you, except try to stay as cool as you can. I sit close to an electric fan at home while watching tv and I find that keeps me cool enough to ward off the sweats. Always have a cold drink at hand to cool your temperature down. If you're outside buy an ice cold can out of the chill cabinet and put it on your brow if necessary. I also put the fan on when I get dressed because I always flush coming out of the shower. If you're out somewhere, i.e. hospital visit, try and sit beneath the air conditioning. In restaurants sit near the draft of a door. Maybe, buy a mini battery operated fan if travelling on a bus or train. Try to stay as stress free as you can. I know that is difficult to do but I find the more I stress, the more I sweat. Also, try not to over exert yourself and don't walk too far. You could also go and talk to your doctor to see if there is any medication that may help you.
Northernlass
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:20 pm

I've moved you over into here Smartie50 xx It's a more suitable board for what you are asking about xx

:welcome: To our little Fibrofamily xx

The things you are asking about can be associated with FM. Lots of us find regulating body temperature becomes difficult when FM gets hold of us. We liken it to having a faulty thermostat, and what would be a slight change in temperature pre¬FM now becomes an extreme shift. It can affect both ends of the temperature scale {hot and cold} or just one end of it, or anything in between.

Skin sensitivity is also an issue that a good number of us share, from feeling like there is something crawling across part of the body to similar sensations that you are experiencing.

These problems can also be unrelated to/separate to FM, and be a result of side effects of meds you may be taking so it might be worth considering some advice from your GP or local pharmacist about how you might be able to make things a little more bearable xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Garyl » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:25 pm

I am too dripping wet all the tie this is partly due to my fibro 7 years diagnosis and the fact i have a abcess in my liver is worrying but noting they can do apparently, i had a drink of water a hour ago and it came straight back out of my pores.

Hope the can sort you out as is a terrible feeling
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Smartie50 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your kind replies and for your kind welcomes to the forums :blowkiss:

It seems that I am not alone with these problems and I appreciate you sharing them with me. It has been so hot today, that I feel I am melting and again my hair is dripping weight, although I did go to the hairdresser in desperation this morning and have my hair cut a little shorter. It is not going to stop it from getting soaking wet, but I hoping that it will help it keep more of a style when it dries. Being shorter though it may look worse when it is wet - I will soon find out!

I am also thinking of going to the doctor this week to see if there is anything that he can give me to help. I am on so much medication, although not for fibro, so I am not really keen on taking something else, but it may have to be a case of needs must if it helps me. I am going to Washington DC on holiday with my lovely husband in September and it will be even warmer there :yikes:

Thank you all again and I hope that you are coping with this heat. Take care and have a good day xx
Smartie50
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lolabean » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:41 pm

As soon as I move I sweat, the more I move the more I sweat. I have to change myself two to three times a day as my clothes and I are drenched. I feel disgusting, even going for a shower when changing renders me a puddle.

It's very embarrassing and unsightly and I feel as if I smell even if I don't. My skin doesn't even feel hot to the touch but it feels as if my insides are you on fire.

My temperature will just to regulate and it's horrible. :cry:
Lolabean
UKFM Newbie

Postby perseus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:54 pm

I don't take to hot & humid weather well, but I've never been a sunlover! The tapentadol I take makes me warmer and sweat more than normal, so it's beneficial in winter. However, I live in the tropical South East :mrgreen: and spend a lot of effort trying to reflect the sun's evening glare from my west facing house in Summer, and have an air conditioner in the bedroom. It can only be used before bedtime though due to the noise!
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby Auburn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:34 pm

I have a similar issue, my head, scalp, hands and feet feel hot and sweat and then I can have cold arms and legs at the same time. :roll:
Auburn
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems