Not just any old earache

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Not just any old earache

Postby Painintheneck » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Many FM sufferers mention in this forum that their ears, sinuses and throats are affected. For me this is the one truly hateful symptom, at the top of my grudge list, that I find difficult to accept pragmatically within the context of my chronic aches and pains. I get severe burning cramps in my ears, neck, facial sinuses, jaw, lower throat and sternum. These sporadic episodes usually begin with bilateral earache waking me in the early hours of the morning. They take between twenty minutes and two hours from onset to reach full misery. Then at their worst the pain will spread throughout my torso and spine, with the apex of every inhalation provoking an excruciating snatch of cramp at the bottom of my throat, similar to that of my having done a schooldays 400 metre sprint. Each episode floors me for up to twenty-four hours, followed by several days of flu-like malaise. I have been having and loathing these unexplained spasms for over five years, at an average of four times per year.

They have been variously considered, investigated and unsuccessfully treated as resulting from: oesophageal reflux (GORD) and ‘silent’ laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR), hiatus hernia, and even a discrete heart problem; being always accompanied by varying periods of paroxysmal supra-ventricular tachycardia – PSVT – a benign problem that I have had since late childhood. I have had generally unremarkable ECGs. Endoscopy found only multiple but insignificant hyperplastic polyps in various areas of my stomach. A T3 thyroid function test was normal. Cricopharyngeal spasms have been ruled out because they have a duration of only seconds or minutes, not hours.

Pregabalin seems to have reduced the frequency but not the intensity of these episodes.

Perhaps significantly, there is one certain way in which they can be provoked. If I take just one Chlorphenamine Maleate anti-histamine, within twenty–four hours I’ll be in the throes of a spasm. Obviously I avoid taking this, what was once useful, medication now.

Are these spasms actual fibromyalgia or are they another ‘knock on’ effect? Or is there something else I should be looking into as their cause?
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Re: Not just any old earache

Postby Painintheneck » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Just to add a further brief note. A now-retired GP suggested, somewhat apologetically, that my throat spasms could be globus hystericus, explaining that though this term is often used disparagingly by medics, there is evidence that globus hystericus/sympatheticus (lump in the throat due to emotion) is part of the same autonomic response mechanism which can lead to Takotsubo syndrome – a serious, sometimes fatal form of cardiomyopathy which usually resolves without apparent lasting injury – now regarded as the historically recognised “pain of a broken heart”. Interesting but disturbing....
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:17 pm

I defiantly understand and have many similar symptoms. For me it was TMJ. Now I wear a mouth guard each night and have trigger point therapy physio to relieve the muscle tightness and spasms along my sternum, ribs, neck and head. This keeps symptoms at a livable leval although on flares I struggle with the lump in the throat like your being choked.

My advice if you have not looked into TMJ is to visit your dentist and get them to feel around these areas and talk about making you a mouth guard. It’s another possibility and another one to rule out.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Painintheneck » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Lisa, thanks for your comments. TMJ is another of those conditions not recognised as such by my GPs. I have mentioned this to them, but they remain adamant that, although there are most certainly types of neuralgia (trigeminal/Bell's Palsy, in particular) which can cause huge amounts of pain and discomfort, I don't have them. Dentists... hmmm! I last visited my dentist two years ago. Despite my misgivings and anxiety, he did a very nice job of fitting a molar crown - no great discomfort - but the real pain came from the price of over two hundred quid. I did ask him at the time if he thought I might have any jaw misalignment, but he said no.
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems