Osteoarthritis

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Osteoarthritis

Postby besidemyself » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:02 pm

So almost 4 weeks ago I moved home. I had to as my daughter who is my carer, and my grandson both live with me. I was in a one bedroom flat and had to wait my turn up the queue for a council transfer. We have a lovely house now with the rooms that we need. But at the flat I had no steps or stairs and I am really struggling with them. I had only been in the house for a few days when I suffered a fall on the stairs, thankfully not down them all. I was halfway down going slowly when suddenly I felt severe pain across the back of my knee and it felt like something stretched and snapped, a bit like an elastic band would. The agony was such that I couldn't have my knee bent at all or put any weight on it.
Fast forward to GP appointment and being sent for xray. The xray shows minor OA, but am not joking when I say this pain is just not going away, and any walking on it just sets it off to be worse. Am thinking as well as the OA the tendons are damaged or its Fibromyalgia too, adding to the pain.
I am now having similar trouble with the other knee, probably as although I am using a crutch the good knee is taking the pressure. I am only moving about indoors not walking anywhere as such. I really don't want to not have my bedroom upstairs, after being so overcrowded at the flat. Looks like I will have to somehow get a stair lift. I have a commode downstairs at the moment which I don't want either.
besidemyself
UKFM Member

Re: Osteoarthritis

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:44 pm

I have OA of the knee and suffered many falls. I fall down the stairs. My knee gives out a sharp pain and *goes* from beneath me and down I fall. It’s so unpredictable and suffered many injuries and humiliation!

Once I feel down some concrete steps outside a supermarket right along a busy main road where at the time it was rush hour and the cars were at a stand still bumper to bumper, the traffic was huge. I fell and ended up on the floor at the bottom of the steps by the side of the road!

I couldn’t get up as some how my body went all paralysed maybe from the shock and pain? And there I sat so humiliated and waiting to gain some strength to get up. People were getting out of there cars to help but I told them to leave me be and just wanted to get out of the situation.

Ended up at A@E with a twisted ankle and cuts and bruises. Luckily no broken bones! But I was black and blue and in agony for many weeks!

Anyways...

If you don’t want to put in for another move to suit your health needs then you could request an occupational therapist to come round and assess your house for equipment, aids and adaptions to help you at home. They install lifts etc....
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby besidemyself » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:23 pm

That must have been awful for you. Yes I get sudden pain and my knee gives way, totally unpredictable. I do also think there must be some kind of tendon tear, which is what felt like a snap. I think the stair lift would be the best idea, am seeing my GP soon so I will ask for occupational therapist input, am guessing GP will refer.
I really don't want to move again, we love this house already. Thank you for the suggestion :-D
besidemyself
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:25 pm

You can either see your GP or call adult social services and they put you forward to be assed by an occupational therapist.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems