Muscle Spasms

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Muscle Spasms

Postby besidemyself » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi..I have recently over the past few months been getting muscles spasms in my calf on both legs, and quite strong some even painful, and awful random cramps. My daughter who is my carer did some online research and apparently its normal for runners or athletes to have this after exercise etc. But I really don't do any of that, due to pain and fatigue and a whole load of other symptoms of this awful Fibromyalgia. From my sitting room to my kitchen sink is just 6 metres, so there and back 12, and I am exhausted from every painful step by the time I get back, apart from that I have same distance to the commode (sorry if that's too much visual) which is also downstairs as I cannot do any stairs and injured myself trying a couple of months back. Somewhere online my daughter read that sufferers of Fibromyalgia, their muscles are already almost to their full capacity, hence exercise is painful, so maybe that's what is causing the spasms, but I haven't always had them. At night especially its like my legs are being played like piano keys lol and we can see the muscles dancing away. I notice today too as I am trying to read, balancing a book on cushions as it now actually hurts to hold a book, that its starting already. Anybody else have this?
besidemyself
UKFM Member

Re: Muscle Spasms

Postby perseus » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi

I've occasionally had spasms before and since having Fibro and I used to do running, before contracting it. However, they don't last long enough to cause a major problem. Cramps are rather more serious and painful though!
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:38 am

My legs are always active with pins & needles, cramps, spasms, tingling & twitching. Can also be restless leg syndrome.

I would advise getting checked out tho to rule out things like a blood clot and any lower back problems.

A lot of my symptoms are that of fibro but I have been getting severe cramps in my thighs and calves to which feel like my muscles are being ripped in two! :shock: but this I know is due to nerve damage from a herniated disc.

It’s always best to rule things out just in case as you never know cause fibro symtoms can mimick that of so many other illnesses and conditions.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby besidemyself » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi Lisa, yes I will speak to my GP about it, I am waiting for the results of an mri scan on my knee so when I ring up about the result I will ask about the spasms. I do know that on a xray a few years ago showed up several bone spurs on my spine, and I do have lower back pain. Arthritis in both hips showed up in 2015, and now my left knee showed up arthritis last month and just had an mri scan on that knee as its giving in on me and I felt something snap behind my knee the day I injured it. Yes the dreaded Fibro has nasty symptoms for sure.
besidemyself
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems