Bursitis and osteoarthritis plus FM? Back to rheumy.

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Bursitis and osteoarthritis plus FM? Back to rheumy.

Postby Genevieve489 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:43 pm

Do others have bursitis and osteoarthritis, as well as fibro?

I saw my GP today who has referred me back to the rheumatologist who diagnosed me with FM in March. I'm finding the pain of bursitis (hips and shoulders) and osteoarthritis (thumbs, knees and feet) added to the fatigue and horrid flu-like aching of FM very difficult at the moment. The GP upped my Nortriptyline to 35mg from 25mg. Nortriptyline helps at night, but doesn't seem to do anything during the day. I also take paracetamol as and when.

Have others been back to the rheumatologist after an initial diagnosis? Were they able to help? Are there any questions I should ask?
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Re: Bursitis and osteoarthritis plus FM? Back to rheumy.

Postby Queenie_70 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:34 pm

Hello,

I have bursitis in both hips, and was referred to a physical therapist. He gave me exercises that I am supposed to, somehow, fit into my day three times, while pacing, trying to attend all my own and my daughters appointments, and stop the house from looking like I decorate with dog hair. Top that off with trying to rest enough so the pain levels from fibro are tolerable.....

Anyway, 4000mg of paracetamol daily is not enough to help, and nights are worse for me as I like to sleep on my side, but the pain gets unbearable.

I think that the rheumy will only refer you to a PT, but you should ask about pain killers/anti inflammatories....

(Please excuse spelling...don't think spell check is working)...

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Genevieve489 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi Queenie.

I know just what you mean about trying to fit in exercises three times a day - 10 times each! I saw a physio for the bursitis last year and, although I tried really hard, didn't find the exercises particularly helpful. I also had sessions in the hydrotherapy pool at the hospital. This was wonderful, but only for six sessions!

However, I'm hoping that the rheumatologist will give me more injections. Last year, I had two, one from my GP and one from an orthopaedic consultant, neither of which made any difference. When I eventually saw the rheumatologist she used a much stronger steroid and it really worked - for six months! And that is the problem with injections, isn't it? I'm also concerned that I've got painful shoulders now - burning feeling - which is new. I don't know if this is bursitis, as well. Or maybe it's the fibro?

I'm definitely going to ask about medication - both for the fibro, the bursitis and the osteoarthritis. Nortriptyline and paracetamol isn't working particularly well for me on a daily basis, so I know I need to discuss it further.

Thanks for your reply. xx
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:17 pm

Hi again,

Just thinking about medications, my partner is on Fentanyl patches for his OA. He suffers from it in his lower back, years of hard labor and gaming have created his. He also takes co-codamol as needed, we think he has a problem with both his rotator cuffs which could require surgery, but for now, just pain killers. He is also being tested for fibro, but his GP won't give him any more pain killers because of what he is already on.

It is a slippery road with pain killers. I take, 900mg gaba in the am, 1200 in the afternoon and another 900 at night, along with 60mg of Duloxitene, 20 mg of ami, and 100mg of Trazadone. I walk around rattling, and concerned that when the pain increases, as mine seems to every few years, I won't have much left to turn to as I can't take any codeine based medications.

Good luck with all your appointments, right now I am on a waiting list for gall stones...

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Genevieve489 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Thanks Queenie. I must admit that I don't like taking medication - the only other tablets I take are for high blood pressure and IBS. Having said that, I wouldn't want to come off the Nortriptyline now as it makes a big difference to my sleep. It was very poor before I began taking it.

I had my gallbladder out 7 years ago, because of gallstones. I hope that it all goes well for you.

Take care. x
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby TheHud » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:13 pm

Lyrica, if can tolerate it, give it chance. The shoulders neck hips thing for years and years, diagnosed with fibro, got lyrica, magic. Still feel like hell but do not live in dread of the total gut wrenching horror pain that was hitting down my arms, across my shoulders and up into my head. Terrified of moving wrong etc...

I now take stomach protector, ibruprofen (naproxen really did not agree with me), paracetamol, codiene (makes me sleep combat the itching with an antihistamine) and upto 3 x 75mg of lyrica per day. There is a lot they can do with drugs and we have hope for the future that maybe, ukfibromyalgia and others will put pressure on the powers that be (perhaps team up with the chronic pain association etc) get the cannabis oil/spray made available along with a drug that has been used all over Europe for 30 years flupertine (it has a different mechanism than anything else). There are others, lets hope we get them, inc local anaesthetic patches currently availible but not given to us... mean s.ds.

Your GP should be able to manage your drug therapy while you wait for a pain clinic referral or anything really, ask your GP for help now ;)

Good luck
TheHud
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems