Bursitis a symptom of fibromyalgia?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Bursitis a symptom of fibromyalgia?

Postby Genevieve489 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:53 pm

I've had bilateral trochanteric bursitis for over two years now and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in March last year. I recently saw a rheumatologist about the bursitis and he told me that he considers that it isn't a separate complaint, but part of fibromyalgia. He advised me to use a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory gel on my hips - something like IBuleve. This has done absolutely nothing. In the copy letter to my GP, the rheumatologist wrote that there was nothing more that rheumatology could offer, but the GP may want to refer me to the pain management clinic.

I've had four steroid injections into the worst hip, but only one worked and that was when a different rheumatologist used Marcaine, which I believe is a type of nerve block.

Have others have been told that bursitis is not a separate entity, but part of fibromyalgia? I've never been to a pain management clinic before. Have others found it helpful?
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Re: Bursitis a symptom of fibromyalgia?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:49 pm

Bursitis is a condition in it's own right, and can either be a stand~alone issue, or one that may be associated with others that are experienced. I know of people who have been told they have Bursitis, but don't have anything else wrong with them, which they would have if Bursitis was a symptom and not a condition.

This linky explains what Bursitis is, as well as going thru some ways to treat/manage the condition. As some of these can be done at home, it might be worth trying some of them to see if it brings you some relief xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Re: Bursitis a symptom of fibromyalgia?

Postby Jull » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:32 pm

I found here https://authorityremedies.com/home-reme ... -bursitis/ it says that:
"There are several popular causes of bursitis such as:
- Increase in age: Due to your tendons become more vulnerable with age, they will get less and less elastic which will be weaker against pressure.
- Sudden injury: Accidents might injure the bursa which makes the tissue more vulnerable to infections. Usually, they are minor but repetitive accidents which slowly damage the joints and both the muscles and tendons around them.
- Repetitive impact for joints: It is consider the most common reason for why you might get bursitis. Such movements which are repeated day by day as lifting weights to over the head or cleansing the floor whilst kneeling will damage the bursae.
- Joint overuse: When you use a specific joint constantly in such activities as gardening, painting or carpentry… the soft tissues in your joint might be damaged and this can lead to irritation and inflammation.
- Poor stretching and incorrect posture: This is why proper warm-up before exercising is important as poor stretching will cause bursitis. The same goes to incorrect posture such as long sitting position on hard surface.
- Joint placed poorly: People with arthritis are more prone to get bursitis.
- Secondary condition: Such conditions as psoriatic and rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma and thyroid disorders as well as gout or some medications might make you more vulnerable to bursitis.
- Infection: People with weak immunity such as alcoholic and steroid therapy patients will get bursitis easier through infections on injuries near the bursae. This type of bursitis is called septic bursitis which is accompanied by fever with inflammation and redness on the infected areas."

So I think bursitis is not really related with fibro :)
Jull
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems