vitamin d

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

vitamin d

Postby sue66 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:34 am

does anyone with fibro have a vitamin d deficiancy
sue66
UKFM Member

Re: vitamin d

Postby Graciebaby » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:14 am

Hi,
I've not been on here for ages, but was just browsing and noticed that you hadn't received any replies to your question.
Low levels or a lack of vitamin D is very common in Fibro sufferers.
When a blood test revealed that my levels were very low, I was immediately prescribed huge doses of vit D for a few months and will now be on a maintenance dose for life. I was told that once my vit D. levels improved, that it was quite likely that my poor energy levels and dreadful fatigue would imrove, but quite honestly, I wasn't aware of any dramatic difference.

Hope my reply helps,

xx
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:52 pm

If you put "Vitamin D" into the search box {top right corner of the page} it will bring up all references that have been made across the boards. There does seem to be a possible association between FM and Vitamin D deficiency, altho it has yet to be officially recognised/formalised xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby RobStenosis001 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:57 pm

I have just been diagnosed by the NHS with Fibromyalgia. It does not sit altogether well with me because I also have OA of the spine, hips, and hands - the OA in the neck causing cervical severe stenosis with several buldging discs. One consultant says this will cause me great pain and recomended surgery but another says it is nothing to cause much pain and that every 50 year old has it. This is also the consultant who says I just have Fibro (and nothing else). I still have a lumbar and sacral MRI scan outstanding on 27.04.2016 and although I expect to find a buldging/ slipped disc based on very localized mechanical pain and movement issue being experienced, that same consultant says he gaurantees me that it just the fibro. Anyway long story short, I was admited to hospital for a week in December (diziness, severe headaches, constipation), and was told whilst there my body was showing signs of fighting off some kind of infection but they could not work out what it was (probably the flu), but nevertheless they said I was also vitamin D deficient 15nmol/L, with low phosphates (bone profile) and elevated crp (C reactive protein) of 115. Does anyone know what this might mean, my GP and consultant are not being particularly iluminating? I might try to take my investigation private, but I don't have much money left to do so (it is all gone). Thanks.
RobStenosis001
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:26 pm

RobStenosis001 wrote:I have just been diagnosed by the NHS with Fibromyalgia. It does not sit altogether well with me because I also have OA of the spine, hips, and hands - the OA in the neck causing cervical severe stenosis with several buldging discs. One consultant says this will cause me great pain and recomended surgery but another says it is nothing to cause much pain and that every 50 year old has it. This is also the consultant who says I just have Fibro (and nothing else). I still have a lumbar and sacral MRI scan outstanding on 27.04.2016 and although I expect to find a buldging/ slipped disc based on very localized mechanical pain and movement issue being experienced, that same consultant says he gaurantees me that it just the fibro. Anyway long story short, I was admited to hospital for a week in December (diziness, severe headaches, constipation), and was told whilst there my body was showing signs of fighting off some kind of infection but they could not work out what it was (probably the flu), but nevertheless they said I was also vitamin D deficient 15nmol/L, with low phosphates (bone profile) and elevated crp (C reactive protein) of 115. Does anyone know what this might mean, my GP and consultant are not being particularly iluminating? I might try to take my investigation private, but I don't have much money left to do so (it is all gone). Thanks.

I would ask GP to re-do CRP levels to see if you was fighting some kind of infection or whether it is inflammation somewhere in your
body.

CRP can detect inflammation but also flag up if your fighting illness infection BUT it does not indicate where. So by re doing CRP then levels should now be a lot lower which could mean you did have an infection. If CRP is still very high then Rhuematologist must really find out why? and to try and find out where inflammation coming from as I have been through this myself.

My CRP was always high but no where near your level :shock: and so Rhuematologist called me in to discuss possible inflammation conditions like Ankylosing Spondylitis. He kept on insisting that Fibro does NOT show inflammation

Now in the end what actually had caused my high CRP levels was an inflamed Gallbladder as CRP levels dropped by half when it was removed.

Problem with CRP bloods is that it wont show you where or whats the problem just that there is one so needs more investigations.

CRP levels also go up and down day by day but mine was consistant.

I also have OA in lower spine/knee / bulging disks etc plus loss of lumber lordosis and im 40's. That was diagnosed 30's. One GP saying like yours about pain and surgery and the other dismissive and general *wear & tear* :crazy:

Low vitamin D causes muscle pain etc.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Mk1divemaster » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:20 pm

I also had low vit d last blood test, majority of people who live in England has it especially through winter it's called the sunshine vitamin
Because we get it from being exposed to sunlight mostly.
My CRP level was very low but my body felt terrible. fibro doesn't show on inflammation count usually.
Mk1divemaster
UKFM Member

Postby Unicorn Breath » Mon May 23, 2016 11:41 am

I have had low (at times VERY low) vitamin d since mine was first tested 7 years ago.. I managed to get up to 21 by having monthly injections, but NHS won't do that now. Over last since months, after my level fell to 5, I've been having weekly high level liquid capsules and my level when last tested was 22!

I'm of the belief that a lot of my problems are actually Vitamin D related rather than Fibro.. Maybe I am just in denial!
Unicorn Breath
UKFM Newbie

Postby luckylucky » Thu May 26, 2016 12:31 pm

yes before i was diagnosed with fibro , that was picked up long before was put on a high dosage now on a maintenance dose
luckylucky
UKFM Newbie

Postby RobStenosis001 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:41 pm

Thank you ever so much for responses. Now taking 4,000 u per day vitamin D3 (cheap from Chemist4U online). Self refered to the GP (as no one seems concerned about the readings), he says vitamin D3 is normal and the rest are nothing to worry about. GP will allow retest of D3 and CRP in 3 months time and assures me as it it is summer and I am taking 4,000 u so readings should be improved but either way are stereotypical of FM sufferers. I have been referred to Fibro Clinic at Nottingham City Hospital but waiting since Jan 2016 and heard nothing yet. Diagnosis does not sit well with me becasue of deep bone pain acccompanying typical Fibro pains. Particularly tailbone, lower back, neck, fingers, right rist & elbow. Every so often another joint/ area seems to get added to my list. The GP/ Neuro is VERY dismissive.
RobStenosis001
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems