Jaw/face pain and ringing in the ears

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Jaw/face pain and ringing in the ears

Postby Sue Fh » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Several months ago I woke with ringing in my ears. Very scary and weird. My gp said it could be fibro or menopause or coming of my seizure meds.I also had lots of other symptoms flaring up, palpitations, tremors,dizzy and lots more. It came and went and it also gave me ear ache, and face pain. It went completely until 2 weeks ago, it had returned slightly but I now also have face pain which was awful but has now declined, but I now have jaw pain that changes from left to right side.It feels hot today on one side. I am taking Ibuproen when its bad and have tried heat/cold treatment. Eating soft food as chewing hurts. Has anyone else suffered this and how did they rectify it please.
Sue Fh
UKFM Newbie

Re: Jaw/face pain and ringing in the ears

Postby Queenie_70 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:01 am

Hi Sue,

I would go to your dentist and ask for a mouth guard as it sounds like TMJ. They don't know what causes it, but if you chomp or grind your teeth at night it can be a contributing factor. I also have the ringing in the ears and it is progressively getting worse, my partner suggested tinnitus, but I haven't been tested or checked for it yet. I have always had it to some degree, but now it is daily, and it gets to the point it effects my balance.

First step though, see if a mouth guard will help with your jaw. It will only take a few days for you to notice a difference if it is due to grinding. My daughter also uses Voltarol gel which she applies to her jaw line on the side that is worst affected, but that can take up to three weeks, twice daily, to take effect.

Good luck xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Sue Fh » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Thank you for advice. Will ask dentist but I don't grind my teeth at night, strangely my face/jaw pan is during the day, when I wake up it feels fine for a while I will also try the gel. Thanks again. :-D
Sue Fh
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:17 pm

You don't have to grind I clench. This causes as much discomfort. During the day symptoms can become worse as you eat/chew & talk etc...
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Sue Fh » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:51 am

Hi
Yes talking makes it a lot worse, and I am feeling really stressed at the moment so probably I do clench. Thank you for the advice :-D
Sue Fh
UKFM Newbie

Postby Roseofsharon » Thu May 12, 2016 9:54 am

Hi your GP should refer you for investigations before saying its fibro/menopause. I have had tinnitus since I was five (about thirty years) tinnitus, which is simply ringing in the ears can be intermittent or it can be steady either way it has many different causes and therefore should be taken seriously and investigated. Again pain in the jaw line/ face could be many things, I myself have trigeminal neuralgia, please, please please push for a referral for investigation.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby Motorvating » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:12 pm

Sorry to bump an old post, but i was drawn to this post because I suffer from Bruxism and wasn't aware it was associated with FM. I also clench my jaw both asleep and awake and particularly is I am stressed or tiered which I am a lot obviously. Is it accepted by the medical establishment that there is s a link with FM?
Motorvating
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:50 am

Very much so probably the most commen associated condition.

My dentist had been treating my TMJ for many years and i am very bad. One day he looked at me whilst he was giving my daughter a routine check up and said...

*You know how stiff your jaw gets, well i can see signs in your daughters mouth & jaw of the same thing* :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Well :yikes: he just put the pieces of the puzzle together cause last 6 months she had cmplained of severe fatigue and aches and pains :yikes: I thought it was exam stress.

I asked him to write me a letter to give to her GP with his findings and that her TMJ was most likely linked to Fibro and that she needs further investigations.

Now i knew getting such a youngster an FM diagnoses was hard which is why i asked for back up from dentist and luckily i did cause when chatting to her GP her initial thoughts were that my daughter was depressed and was gonna give her CBT for depression!!! i argued and mentioned family connection to FM and demanded GP went to the other doctors of the surgery and asked them for there opinion (added with dentist letter)

Within days i had a letter saying that yes my daughter needs to see a Rheumatologist and she did and she was diagnosed with Fibro & CFS / Raynauds.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems