Tietze syndrome

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tietze syndrome

Postby Limpet » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:24 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a beginner with all this forum stuff so if I've done this wrong or its in the wrong place I'm sorry!! I'm looking for some info on Tietze from anyone who has been diagnosed with it. I have Lupus but have been very lucky not to be too badly affected by it. A year ago I woke up with a severe pain in my left chest like a pulled muscle but worse. Weeks later I noticed swelling in the area of my armpit and upper breast. This increased gradually & the pain persisted daily for a further 9 months. It wasn't until a large hard lump under my collar bone appeared that I gave in and went to the GP. Since then had a mammo, CT & Xray. All came back negative. Blood tests I had done just show severely deficient in Vit D and Folate/B12 (which I have been for years so no change there). I am currently waiting on a referral to see Rheumatologist, cant wear bras, swimming costume etc and trying to sleep at night is a bloody misery. I feel like a waste of space to the NHS as every test is showing negative, yet the left side of my chest is enormous compared to the right. So can anyone with Tietze help, does this sound similar to you? Exercise makes it worse, I cant lay on my back without loosing the feeling in my left arm, I cant lay on my left side, and I have a big visible vein in my left neck that runs up over the lump and collar bone. I am grateful that all the tests I've had show nothing serious but I just want to KNOW what this is, does that make sense?? Sorry ramble over, any advice would be really appreciated whilst I wait for yet another doctor to have a stab at diagnosing me.
Limpet
UKFM Newbie

Re: Tietze syndrome

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:54 am

:welcome:

I have just popped your topic on the right board :-D no worries ;-)

Tietze can also be classed as Costochondritis although i believe theres a slight difference between the two thus being....

Tietze's syndrome is an inflammation of the costochondral cartilages of the upper front of the chest that involves swelling of the joint. Costochondritis is distinguished from Tietze's syndrome, a condition also involving the same area of the front of the chest, by the presence of swelling. Costochondritis is not associated with swelling, as opposed to Tietze's syndrome, where swelling is characteristic.

You will find that both of these are very commen associated conditions in Lupus & Fibro

I suffer badly with Costochondritis and know full well how painfull and dibilitating this can get :shock:

For Tietze is says some treatments are:

Reassurance once the diagnosis is confirmed.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Local injection of long-acting corticosteroids may help.
Intercostal nerve block may also help but is rarely required.
Chiropractic treatment has been beneficial in some cases.

** This is info i found on the internet so maybe different by GP/Consutant

Then:

The pain usually subsides within a few weeks, with some residual swelling persisting for longer periods of time.
However, the course of the disease varies from spontaneous remission to persistent symptoms over years.

I found that because of the illness i have i get symptoms regularly.

I found freeze gel rubbed all over to be of a little benefit, eating little and often, anti-inflammatories, breathing exercises, and i used an inhalor for the tightness/chest paijns

I also have physio often to help symptoms.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: Tietze syndrome

Postby Limpet » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:22 am

Thanks for the reply Lisa, I really appreciate it and all your advice. I am very lucky that I can get by on ibuprofen and am able to work etc. If anyone else with Tietze is out there I am very interested to know if you have a lump and/or swelling, in particular if its the collarbone 1st rib area. In the meantime Thank You everyone X
Limpet
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems