New to gabapentine/pregabalin

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New to gabapentine/pregabalin

Postby Auuo54 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Hiya.. I recently been told I have fibromyalgia, and last Monday I started with 1 gabpentine 300mg, the Tuesday 2 * 300mg and Wednesday 3 * 300mg (900mg) so been taking 3 a day so far and I feel doped up and sleeply, also my anxiety is up and I am feeling emotional.
I am due to speak to my go on the 20th of march for a update. I feel no benefits from taking these gabpentine no relief of pain just feel like a zombie. I am waiting for my gp to ring me today as I don't feel they are right for me.
I am on the following meds also..
Zapain 30/500 2 x 4 times daily
Peppermint oil 3 times daily
Colofac 135mg 3 times daily
Naproxen 500mg 1 2 times daily
Levothyroxin 125mg taken in the morning
Omperprazole 20mg taken in the morning.
Cyclizine 50mg taken as required
Gabapentin 300mg 3 times daily
Mirtazapine 45mg taken at night
Last edited by Auuo54 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Auuo54
UKFM Member

Re: New to gabpentine

Postby Jeany » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Lot of same meds as myself. I have dreadful anxiety too and agoraphobia. Also acid reflux, stomach ulcers, and IBS. Ive read about Omeprazole causing muscle and bone pain, and wonder if that is the cause of mine, as Ive been on it about 10 years.Lifes a nightmare ?
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby Julie kerton » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:17 pm

I am also taking Gabapentin but they have never made me feel doped .They initially helped with my pain but are no longer as effective .I was also taking Co Codamol 30/500 x2 up to 4 times a day ( these may well make you feel sleepy / sluggish ) I have now successfully stopped taking the cocodamol and feel so much better ,much clearer in my thinking and have more energy .Yes I still ache but I am now doing yoga and mediation on a regular basis and getting as much fresh air and exercise as I can cope with . I was diagnosed about a year ago and have only just started to accept my diagnosis and work with it . It is just a case of exploring different things to find the one that works for you xxx best of luck and hope you feel better soon .
Julie kerton
UKFM Newbie

Postby Maggie53 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:21 pm

I also take most of the medication you do (omeprazole, thyroxine, Mirtazapine, loratadine,) my GP prescribed Gabapentine but it made me so ill I gave up on it after three days, I couldn't stand it. I too have IBS and also CFS, but after trying various other meds I found the only thing that helps is pacing, even when you think you feel a bit better and can do more stick to the pacing. Also be prepared to feel terrible after any stress.
Maggie53
UKFM Member

Postby Jeany » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:47 pm

It seems anxiety and stress go hand in hand with cfs,M.E. and fibro. Emotions pay a large part in how much pain we suffer apparently. Ive had these illnesses over 4 years annd now have fortnightly appointments with The Living with pain clinic, who recommended Mindfulness and meditation to help relaxation. My health has deteriorated in the past few years, the pain and fatigue limit my life immensely. I used to be very active, but now just about manage my daily personal needs, and haven't worked for over 4 years. Im 60 but feel 80.
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby Auuo54 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Gp advised I stick with 3*300mg per day until next Monday when I have a appointment with her and we will discuss what to do with gabpentine.
Its the tiredness and wanting to sleep I hate l, also I have no relief of pain and getting pains where I normally get them :(.. So here's another week of gabpentine..
Auuo54
UKFM Member

Postby Jeyo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:01 pm

I was prescribed gabapentin a few weeks ago. I initially felt they were making me feel awful - sluggish and tired. I've persevered to see if I could get used to them but no. I was on tramadol, naproxen and amitriptyline which worked a treat but was taken off naproxen as I take ramipril and naproxen can't be taken with ramipril so gabapentin was prescribed instead and naproxen and amitriptyline stopped. I wish I could go back to my original prescription. I'm going to say to Dr about the gabapentin. I'm not getting on with them at all.
Jeyo
UKFM Member

Postby Auuo54 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Struggling with gabpentine, now so thirsty can drink for england and started to get headache's.. I am starting to get fed up with them.. Need something but not sure what..
Auuo54
UKFM Member

Postby Jeyo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Auuo54 wrote:Struggling with gabpentine, now so thirsty can drink for england and started to get headache's.. I am starting to get fed up with them.. Need something but not sure what..

Hi Auuo,
Sounds like a visit to your GP is needed to have a chat and a review of your analgesia. I'm going to do the same. You're not alone, sounds like lots of us are struggling with gabapentin. I've read a lot that this is a fantastic drug for fibromyalgia so I'm quite upset that it doesn't seem to suit me.
Jeyo
UKFM Member

Postby Auuo54 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Jeyo.. I am disappointed these aren't for me but worried what to try next as I am on a lot of other meds too :cry:
Auuo54
UKFM Member

Re: New to gabapentine

Postby Jeyo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:12 pm

I hope you get it sorted on Monday when you see your Dr x
Jeyo
UKFM Member

Postby Auuo54 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Well spoke to go and told me to reduce and stop gabapentine and try pregabalin instead 1 for a week then 2 a week and then ring for a review
Auuo54
UKFM Member

Postby Jeyo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:50 pm

Hi Auuo,
Interesting, keep us updated of how you're getting on with pregabalin.
Jeyo
UKFM Member

Postby Auuo54 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:53 am

Jeyo wrote:Hi Auuo,
Interesting, keep us updated of how you're getting on with pregabalin.

I will do I was going to start new meds on Monday but have to leave it a week as busy week next possibly signing for a new place to live and don't want any problems whilst away.
Auuo54
UKFM Member

Postby Jeyo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:38 am

Oh lovely, a new home. Well good luck with the move. Don't overdo things.
Jeyo
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication