Query on Sertraline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Query on Sertraline

Postby Auntie Jo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:00 am

Apologies if this has already been asked but with the fibro fog can't find it.
I've just been started on Sertraline after coming off Duloxetine. Dr said I can take it any time of day. I take 50mg currently at night as it makes me drowsy. It gets me off to sleep fine, but when I wake up, it take me ages to get going then during the day, I get sudden waves of intense fatigue come over me.

Is this likely to improve? I've only been on it a week.
Should I change to taking it in the morning to see if that improves things?
Auntie Jo
UKFM Member

Re: Query on Sertraline

Postby perseus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:44 am

Auntie Jo

Fatigue seems to be one of the side effects of Sertraline according to the NHS site although many other sources don't mention this symptom.

https://beta.nhs.uk/medicines/sertraline

Sertraline is more likely to be used as a pure antidepressant than Duloxetine which can also be helpful with fibromyalgia pain. Could Fatigue be related to withdrawal symptoms from duloxetine? It can cause Dizziness, fatigue & sleepiness.

Ask your Doctor before changing anything.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Re: Query on Sertraline

Postby Auntie Jo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was switched from Duloxetine to Sertraline with a 3 day break in between, so it could be the Duloxetine still coming out of my system and still getting used to Sertraline building up in my body. I wonder how long it will be before things settle down. I keep wondering if I should take it in the morning rather than the evening, but I can't be falling asleep at my desk.
Auntie Jo
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication