GP reluctant to prescribe me Tapentadol (Palexia) anymore.

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

GP reluctant to prescribe me Tapentadol (Palexia) anymore.

Postby perseus » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:25 pm

This drug was originally prescribed to me by a private consultant two or three years ago, and I've been taking it since then through prescriptions issued through my local practice. However, after receiving my latest repeat prescription, my new GP phoned me up after a warning was flagged up on her computer screen, and offered to replace it with Tramadol a less potent opioid. I wonder if it's down to to the recent concerns about the overuse of opioids, or because she is a newly qualified GP and is being more careful? It's a bad time to change since I'm recovering from a fractured rib, in addition to all the fibro symptoms, which I should have mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapentadol
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Re: GP reluctant to prescribe me Tapentadol (Palexia) anymor

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:22 pm

I find new GP's are more aware and look at things in greater detail.

I wouldn't change over [knowing you personaly] and stick to your guns unless you feel it's time for a change?

Or better the devil you know?

I'm finding people are struggling to get the medication needed lately and doctors substituting the real deal to cheap meds, maybe more of a budget thing?

Unless there is cause for concern with your health taking these long term then I would fight to stay on them
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: GP reluctant to prescribe me Tapentadol (Palexia) anymor

Postby perseus » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:40 pm

I went to collect my tablets yesterday, and my GP has omitted the other drug I'm taking, Duloxetine now. The Chemist thinks it's because I've still got more than a weeks worth left, so I will need to re-order separately next week! The thing is I can't remember having any of these problems previously. Perhaps she is doing it rigorously by the book? From what I remember, I've been prescribed double the dose I take (of both drugs) but decided to stop taking that much because it had so little extra benefit.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Return to Treatments & Medication