Foam Rolling

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Foam Rolling

Postby perseus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:24 pm

Obviously not one for those with severe joint problems, but foam rolling seems to work on some on the areas which we have problems with. My physio suggested rolling a tennis ball between my back and a wall which perhaps works on similar principles.

For years, it was regarded as a way of releasing tension from the soft connective tissue known as fascia that forms a kind of matrix around the entire human body – including muscles, bones, organs and nerves.

Researchers have become sceptical about this, however: given the amount of force required to manipulate the fascia, many think it more likely that the pressure applied by foam rolling may be acting on the nervous system instead.

https://theconversation.com/does-foam-r ... 1528902864
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Re: Foam Rolling

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:14 am

I knew about the tennis ball as it gets into the trigger points but this is a new one to me so another idea to keep in mind although getting into some positions maybe a challenge.

I was told to stand up against a wall with the tennis ball and try to use it like that but the roller would be working out a position suited for ones abilities.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Treatments & Medication