Pregabalin - a short story

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pregabalin - a short story

Postby Painintheneck » Fri May 11, 2018 4:28 pm

After three months of Pregabalin at 150mg x 2 per day, I had to stop taking it quite suddenly. A family tragedy began to unfold and during this intense period I couldn’t function properly because of the Pregabalin’s adverse effects of dizziness and dissociation, and I desperately needed a clear head. Up till then I felt I was getting some benefit from this drug. It was apparently keeping my pain and disturbed sleep in check for much of the time.

I must say that, contrary to the many horror stories concerning unregulated cessation of Pregabalin, the only immediately noticeable unpleasantness was a rapid escalation in bowel discomfort and the onset of loose stools. In fact, for the first few days, my aches and pains even felt a little better despite the sad and stressful circumstances. It was only after three weeks of having come off it that I started to have a real flare-up of pain and poor sleep. So now I’ve resumed taking it, but at a reduced dose of 150mg x 1 per evening. Again I believe it has helped a little with my nightly pain and disturbed sleep. But I don’t accept it can be a long-term solution. For me, it’s too variable in benefit versus adverse effects. The benefit is unpredictable but very welcome; the multiple adverse effects are seemingly inevitable but most unwelcome.
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Re: Pregabalin - a short story

Postby Painintheneck » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:59 pm

An update: after more than six months on Pregabalin - three months of those being at a reduced dose of just 150mg per day - I'm finding it almost impossible to continue with this medication. The unwanted effects have significantly worsened: disorientation, spiking anxiety, agitation, palpitations and increased IBS-C. Now I'm not sure what to do - return to my GP (again!) and go through all the palaver that entails, or gradually reduce my dose (without GP intervention) until I find a tolerable level.
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:28 pm

I can't remember, have you tried Duloxetine?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby Painintheneck » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:23 am

Yes, Duloxetine was one of several (SSRI/SNRI) medications that provoked poor/bad reactions. When on it I thought I was dying - I felt so awful - even after just one single dose/day. By the tenth day I had to stop or risk hospitalisation.
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Postby Painintheneck » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:28 am

Pregabalin has turned out to be not so helpful or benign as I'd hoped it might be. As well as my previously detailed experiences, some quite difficult-to-live-with adverse effects insidiously crept up on me. These are: aggression/anger and very dark thoughts, along with a gut-churning/hand-wringing sense of anxiety and despair provoked by the slightest upset or even imagined fear (paranoia).

So I’ve tailed off, perhaps a bit too rapidly, over the past five days. But, though some of the mood horrors have slightly dissipated, my aches and pains are already building up and my sleep patterns are going awry.

I can make no sustained headway with any of the medications I’ve been prescribed. And I’m truly sick of it!
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Postby Painintheneck » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:02 pm

That five day pregabalin tail-off ended up becoming considerably longer - about four weeks more in fact - because I couldn't get my pain/sleep/anxiety under control. Even now, weeks after the last small dose (about 10mg) I'm still having some disturbing problems - mainly huge anxiety and all-over aches and pains (permanent flu symptoms). Now on to mirtazipine. Is there no end to this not so merry-go-round?
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:33 pm

I’m sure most of us can relate to the merry go round of trying different meds. Hopefully these new ones will help :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Treatments & Medication