Kratom

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Kratom

Postby Niblet » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:21 am

Hi, has anyone heard of or used Kratom as a pain reliever? A work colleague gave me some to try but I am a bit unsure of how much to take and what effect it may have.
Niblet
UKFM Member

Re: Kratom

Postby iblinkin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:49 am

HI Niblet, i found this site which covers the pros and cons of taking this stuff and i believe if you are thinking about ingesting this plant then this is a good read for you as it covers addiction and side effects along with taking it with meds as well as the good things it does. Also you should let your MD know what you're taking so they can monitor you for side effects and so on.

Here is the link for you. Cheers. :-)

http://drug.addictionblog.org/effects-of-kratom/
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby haywire » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Yes I have used kratom as pain relief. I found it worked mildly, sort of at the level co codamol works. It tastes bloody awful and is expensive to use for any length of time. A small dose works ok to begin with, but you need to escalate quickly to get the same relief. It gets expensive quickly. Hope this helps, if I were you I would try the bit you have and make up your own mind. I did a quick google and couldn't find any mention of anyone having a bad reaction to it. I personally couldn't see how addiction could develop, because it only has a weak effect, but it is one thing to keep in mind.
haywire
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi Haywire, check out the link i posted and it explains about the addiction.

"A small dose works ok to begin with, but you need to escalate quickly to get the same relief."

This is how addiction starts when one thinks or desires more of the drug.

Cheers! :-)
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby haywire » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:58 pm

What I meant is that tolerance builds quickly. If you are getting euphoric effects, then you are using too much and that's what starts addiction. Also if you find yourself craving a substance, then there's a problem. I took kratom for 3 months, most days. I am not an expert, I can only draw from personal experience. I started with one heaped spoon made into tea, by the end of 3 months I was taking a cup every 6 hours. I only got mild pain relief from it, and when I stopped there was no withdrawal or cravings or any other unpleasant side effects. That however was my personal experience, no two people are the same.
haywire
UKFM Member

Postby Niblet » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:21 am

Thanks for the replies. I took 4 gms of kratom and it basically feels no different than taking co codamol 30/500 or tramadol, pain relief wise. As it is expensive I guess its not really worth it as far as I can see although this is just a one off dose.
Niblet
UKFM Member

Postby Summer3 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:54 am

Nibret wrote:Thanks for the replies. I took 4 gms of kratom and it basically feels no different taking the organifi green juice powders co codamol 30/500 or tramadol, pain relief wise. As it is expensive I guess its not really worth it as far as I can see although this is just a one off dose.

I heard it's very addictive too.
Summer3
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication