Amitriptyline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Amitriptyline

Postby kitten » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:55 pm

Has any one decided to come off Amitriptyline off there own choice , have been on them for a few years now just 10 mg mostly ,( when I have has flare up have upped it two 20mg )
Theses last few weeks I feel that they have had some nasty effects emotionally wise, last week one minute I was fine the next I had a raging temper just stood and screamed and kicked at the door pulled my hair, I felt that I was losing control of my self, hated my husband .

Thought that's it these tablets are messing with my head . decided right that's it I am going to come off them , that was a week ago up to now I have no side effect and I don't feel uptight maybe because it's a small dose ? or the amitriptyline is still in my blood stream does any one know how long before it leaves your system ?. perhaps the only thing is that I have woke up a few times in the night but have managed to go back to sleep
kitten
UKFM Member

Re: Amitriptyline

Postby Garyl » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Kitten i was on Amitriptyline and came off them as i became so paranoid, i am on now different tablets but these are due to be changed again. But have said noway will i take Amitriptyline again as this was mentioned
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Anuib6 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:21 pm

Hi, iv'e been on Amitriptyline for so many years now i cannot remember when!
My doctor tried to take me off using a lower dose all the time but i just could not stand to come off, even down to 25mgs per night.
I take 50mgrs a night as i got very weird trying to come down off of them. I am alright with them, don't give me any weird dreams "Thank Goodness" not like some of the tablets i have had!
Anuib6
UKFM Member

Postby Roni1970 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:55 pm

I came of Amitriptyline because it was making me very drowsy in the mornings. I'm now taking 50mg of Nortripyline and it is a lot better.
Roni1970
UKFM Member

Postby MissFlite » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:55 pm

I've recently started taking this, I'm sleeping much better now.
On average how long does it take for the side effects to ease off?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
MissFlite
UKFM Newbie

Postby suenew » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:54 am

I'm on a 100 mg a night. Does anyone else take such a high dose as me.x
suenew
UKFM Member

Postby Sarahjbass » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:02 pm

I take 20mg at night, it has ranged between 10 - 50 but 100 seems awfully high. I have tried to come off them but a lot of my pains reappeared . I'm currently on pregablyn ,amatryptaline , duloxatine and MST. Which seems to be working well although I have put on allot of weight due to the pregablyn (4stone !!!)
Sarahjbass
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:44 pm

MissFlite wrote:I've recently started taking this, I'm sleeping much better now.

Very, very generally, side effects can take a week or 2 to ease off. The exact period needed varies from person~to~person, with it being quicker for some, but longer for others. I can also take around a month for the full benefits of the Amis to be felt.

If you're still experiencing side effects after a good while tho, a word with your GP or pharmacist might be something to consider, just to be sure that there isn't something else bubbling away underneath things.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:51 pm

suenew wrote:I'm on a 100 mg a night. Does anyone else take such a high dose as me.x

There have been a number of mentions over the years about dosages being around the same level as what you take Sue, so you're not alone with it. The actual dosage needed varies greatly from person~to~person, so if your nightly 100mg suits you, and your GP is happy with things, try not to let it bother you.

We are all as unique in ourselves as we are in how FM affects us, so we each need to do what suits and helps us as individuals to live with this condition xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:32 pm

When deciding to come off any medication, it is advised to see your GP to discuss this and formulate the best way for it to happen as just stopping certain medications can cause more problems than what was experienced when taking it. Ultimately tho, it is down to the individual to decide what might be the most appropriate way to approach the matter.

When coming off various meds, I have been advised by my GP that it can take a week to ten days after the final dose for all traces to be out of the body. This is just a very general time frame tho, and will vary from person~to~person, as well as from med~to~med.

It's difficult to say if the Amis were causing the problems you were experiencing over the past few weeks Kitten, as there are so many other variables that could have had some bearing on what was happening to you. The addition of a new med/remedy/treatment, either prescribed or OTC, could have added their effects to the mix. Change in what you could have been eating and/or drinking, environmental factors, the list can go and on and on.

What is important tho is how you are feeling now that you have stopped taking them. When members have posted about coming off Amis, they have said things like their foggyness has reduced/improved, sleep patterns have become a little more disrupted but the reduction in/removal of the zombification has helped them deal with it much better than they were when taking the Amis, and many other things that they feel have improved.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby NicolaT » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:42 pm

[quote][/quote]Re: Amitriptyline
Postby suenew » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:54 am

I'm on a 100 mg a night. Does anyone else take such a high dose as me.x

Hi Suenew,

I too am taking 100mg per night. Unfortunately I suffer with Insomnia because I am in so much pain with a slipped disc and Severe Arthritis in my Spine, Knees and other joints plus IBS and the Fibromyalgia! This is the only medication that helps me to sleep and that my body can handle along with the Co-Codomols (4-6 per day) and Severedol (180mg per day). I have been on them for about 4yrs now and in between, my GP has tried me on Garbapentin and Duloxetine (after I have weaned myself off of Amitriptyline), but those other meds screwed my body up really bad and I've had to slowly go back onto the 100mg Amitriptyline; so you are not alone on being on so much. Everyone is different, everyone's body is different and everyone can handle medications differently. The Pharmacist who hands me all of my meds (including 175mg daily Levothyroxine, boxes of Laxido for Constipation) cannot believe that I am on so much, but to be honest....sometimes I do wonder if some of them are placebo's when I think they are not working as they should!

I haven't got a bad word to say about the Amitriptylines, but as I've said before everyone is different. The Duloxetines (or Cymbalta as they are also known), which I came off of last week and am still getting over were awful! I had a few hospital appointments whilst on them and I was slurring my words, dizzy, felt sick (more than usual) but it's taking a while to get over them....the migraine was the worst thing...I hate migraines!!

Good luck everyone. I hope your Christmas is as pain free as can be x
NicolaT
UKFM Newbie

Postby kitten » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Thanks for all your replies
Fluppy puffy
Been a week now and can honestly say that I do feel better , don't feel as if I am in fog ,and feel more in control of myself I know it's early days yet, the amis may still be in my blood stream, not taken any OTC meds not change my diet etc the only thing I have had is a dull stomach ache ,

Just wondering if Ami is on the list of other meds that I have become unable to tolerate :roll: :roll:
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby MsGemRa » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:20 am

suenew wrote:I'm on a 100 mg a night. Does anyone else take such a high dose as me.x

I take 150mg a night so it's not out of the realm of normal. Xx
MsGemRa
UKFM Newbie

Postby MissFlite » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:35 pm

FluppyPuffy wrote:
MissFlite wrote:I've recently started taking this, I'm sleeping much better now.

Very, very generally, side effects can take a week or 2 to ease off. The exact period needed varies from person~to~person, with it being quicker for some, but longer for others. I can also take around a month for the full benefits of the Amis to be felt.

If you're still experiencing side effects after a good while tho, a word with your GP or pharmacist might be something to consider, just to be sure that there isn't something else bubbling away underneath things.

Thanks. Only been on it 10 days, fingers crossed I'm one of those who get used to it quickly as my working can run from 6am to 10pm so getting up at 4.30 is an issue with the drowsiness.
MissFlite
UKFM Newbie

Postby Avilakitten » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:17 am

I came off amitriptyline and went onto nortriptyline. Same family of drug, but I found it much better. Fortunately I didn't have any adverse side effects with the amitriptyline but I was groggy for a few hours after waking. With the fibro it's hard enough to wake up as it is! I asked my gp for nortriptyline on a recommendation of a fellow fibro sufferer and it was much better. I still struggle with waking up in the mornings but once I do I am alert. This change of drug has meant that I can function at work instead of having even worse than usual fibro fog.
Avilakitten
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication