Ice baths?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Ice baths?

Postby pepperpot29 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:19 am

hi there. a friend of mine recently suggest ice baths as a method for helping with my aches and pains caused by fibromyalgia. they are supposed to be amazing for sports people who have sore muscles from training etc. I wondered if anyone on here had tried them with any success?
thanks for reading :-) x
pepperpot29
UKFM Newbie

Re: Ice baths?

Postby sandiepandie » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:54 pm

For me - HELL NO ! Cold makes the pain a million times worse. I may be different but cold causes the most awful cramps and muscle spasms as well as pain. I personally find soaking in a wonderfully warm bath brings a little relief.
The cold weather also affects me terribly too.

Maybe we're all different in how hot or cold affects us.
sandiepandie
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:17 pm

I'm another who finds a warm bath makes much more of a difference to how I feel, esp when compared to a cold/ice bath. The only way to know what will help you tho, is to give it a go :goodluck2: and let us know what you find out xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby pepperpot29 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate you taking the time. Will keep you updated. x
pepperpot29
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:20 pm

Will be interesting to hear how you go on pepperpot29 and :welcome: to our little FibroFamily :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jo90 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:24 am

I did once read of someone went swimming in a very cold sea and it completely cured her ME! I wonder who will be brave enough to try it?
Jo90
UKFM Member

Postby HealingWishes » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:05 pm

Oh my goodness! :shock: Getting even slightly cold makes my Fibro pains ten times worse & brings on new pains - An ice bath would have me in agony and muscles cramped up stiff as a board for sure! :yikes: Cold is my kryptonite! :nono: It's heat that helps my pains. A hot bath with zechstein magnesium flakes & essential oils is what I find helpful for the pain.
Besides, as far as I know, you only use cold for fresh injury with inflammation, like a badly sprained ankle that is swollen and hot and throbbing. This is not how to treat fibromyalgia! :nono:
I'm sure your friend was trying to help but most people have very little knowledge of Fibro and can do more harm than good by suggesting things like that imo. X
HealingWishes
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jull » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:09 pm

In Russia (or somewhere if I'm wrong) there are an occasion that people get into ice cold beach and dip their body in it. So I think it can be a cure, but not everyone has courage to do it. I don't courage you to dip yourself in the ice bath. If you can't take it, you just put your health in danger.
Jull
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication