Sertraline for pain relief

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sertraline for pain relief

Postby Laurajojo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:22 pm

I have just been prescribed this anti-depressant, but for the pain rather than depression. I wondered - Is anyone else on this for pain and has it worked for them in relieving their symptoms.

Thanks.
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Re: Sertraline for pain relief

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:49 pm

Popped you over into here Laura as it's a better board for what you are asking about. I'm currently on Sertraline, have been on it for maybe a couple of years now. It was prescribed for both pain and depression for me. I don't think it has dome much for me pain~wise, depression~wise tho, it has done more for me than any other anti~d I've been on. Unfortunately tho, it's effects seems to be wearing out as a recent increase actually had me feeling even worse to the point that I have gone back down to my previous dose, which has me feeling better than I was, but definitely not the same as I was prior to the increase xx

Everyone's experiences are different tho, so give them a good go if you can, there may be some real benefits from them for you xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Laurajojo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:38 pm

Thank you fluppypuffy. I hadn't heard of this particular anti-depressant before and wondered at its effectiveness for pain relief. You're right, all I can do is give it a go. I'm sorry it isn't as effective for you, for your depression, as it was.
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Postby jargirls » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:51 pm

I am on sertaline, I'm now up to 200mg and am finding the pain returning. I'm going to have to change tablets which I'm not looking forward too. Been on it since Sept.
jargirls
UKFM Newbie

Postby Laurajojo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks for the reply jargirls. I hope your new tablets help and all goes well with you.
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Postby Laurajojo » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:39 pm

My pain has not been relieved by the Sertraline, in fact it has become worse since I have been on it. :(
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Postby Mk1divemaster » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:08 pm

I was put on this a few years ago,it took time to work , but eventually it did something , to be honest I don't think it did anything for the pain just made me able to cope better with it. I made a big mistake of coming off it when I felt a lot better (pain wise).a few months later I was back into a full flare ! I put myself back on it but it isn't having the same effect as before, in fact it has made my symptoms worse. I hope it works for you ,everyone has different tolerances to meds, for some reason my body don't want to know this time around , I've decreased dose in the hope it might make a difference. Fingers crossed xx
Mk1divemaster
UKFM Member

Postby Laurajojo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi Mk1divemaster. Sertraline definitely didn't work for me and I stopped taking it. I hope things improve for you. My GP has now prescribed Amitriptyline for me. Not feeling any benefit as yet, but I have only been on it for a few weeks. I know this can help with sleep. It hasn't for me, but I have found I am more drowsy in the mornings which isn't good.
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Postby Mk1divemaster » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi Laura,
I dropped down to sert now and dr put me on ami to take at night ,been on it for couple of weeks but no change!
Did stopping sert calm your pain any ?
Mk1divemaster
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication