Problems with Naproxen

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Problems with Naproxen

Postby leaporlepor » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:55 pm

I've been having a massive flare up due to the after effects of multiple organ infections last December. It feels like my skin is crushing my body. I've been given Naproxen to help me get out of this flare up. I've been feeling really nauseous, tired and shaky for a few hours after taking each dose. I was wondering if other Naproxen users get the same thing? I know that I shouldn't be complaining as the medication has been helping with the pain but I was hoping to get some ideas on how to minimise the after effects.
leaporlepor
UKFM Newbie

Re: Problems with Naproxen

Postby Garyl » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:15 pm

I have been taken off Naproxen due to having High Blood Pressure , i have never had it before and my GP said was the Naproxen so is stopped but had to do a reducing does
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby bluecath » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:09 pm

Are you taking it with food, If not, that could be the reason why you are shaky
bluecath
UKFM Member

Postby leaporlepor » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:16 pm

I'm trying but the pain has taken my appetite so I'm not eating much. I'll make myself eat a bit more before I take it and see if that helps. Thank you.
leaporlepor
UKFM Newbie

Postby Roni1970 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:26 pm

I was taken off Naproxen because it didn't help me and my new doctor said it was useless. I am now taking Meloxicam and I feel much better.
Roni1970
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:19 pm

Never take NAPROXEN if you have asthma, it can bring on an attack.
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:55 pm

Naproxen can aggravate issues with acid coming up in the mouth {reflux} for a lot of peoples. This can be dealt with by taking a treatment for acid indigestion, such as one containing ranitadine, or by having something prescribed by your GP. To find out if there is something available that could help you, having a word with your local pharmacist might be something to consider doing, or making an appt to see your GP about this.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Dorothy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:42 am

This thread's over a year old now, but I thought I'd add my experience. After telling a gp paracetamol do nothing for me, and asprin and ibuprofen make my stomach feel bad (like I've drunk paint stripper), I was given Naproxen. I lasted about 3 days before deciding I'd rather have the pain than the side effects. After all, I'd been coping with pain for knocking on 20 years before I managed to get a gp to say something other than "take paracetamol and get physiotherapy". After a week off, I tried again, making sure I took them exactly as instructed. I lasted 2 days and the same got the same side effects. I went back and explained to a gp (rarely get to see the same one twice) that the Naproxen made me feel sick, made my stomach bubble, and made me feel extremely hungry so all I could think about was eating (not good when I was also suffering bloatedness), I was taken off it and told I should avoid anything in that group due to being intolerant. The next gp I saw put me back on it despite me pointing out that I'm intolerant and explaining my side effects :roll: He gave me a smaller dose and another pill I can't remember the name of that's supposed to settle the stomach. I lasted 4 days this time, but decided to come off them when I went to a garden centre and spent a fortune on overpriced snacks to eat in the car because I didn't feel I could cope with the 3 mile journey home. :shock: I can cope with pain. Not always well, but I can cope with it. Paint stripper stomach and extreme hunger I cannot cope with. :yikes:
Everyone has the same goal: happiness. What makes us different are the obstacles that we strive to overcome in pursuit of the goal.
Dorothy
UKFM Newbie

Postby Harper27 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:40 am

Hi I'm aware that this post is old also but just wantedted to offer advice to anyone who discovered this and is looking for answers. NSAIDs can cause stomach problems in some people who use them. If you find that the Naproxen or other NSAIDs are springing for you, then return to your doctor and tell them that they are causing you stomach problems. They will likely also prescribe you a proton pump inhibitor such as Omeprazole to deal with this. However, I find NSAIDs completely useless for fibro pain, because the pain is usually not caused by any inflammation so you won't get much benefit out of it unless your muscles are actually inflamed. As it sounds that they are not working for the OP you should talk to your GP about switching to an alternative pain medication, such as Co-Codamol (or just Codeine and you can add the paracetamol), Dihydrocodeine or Tramadol. You could also be prescribed an extended release painkiller and be prescribed one of the ones that I previously mentioned for breakthrough pain. Lots of love xx
Harper27
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication