pain clinic - duloxetine, gabapentin and pregablin

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

pain clinic - duloxetine, gabapentin and pregablin

Postby phoenix67 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:22 am

Hi, i recently attended a pain clinic for another pain condition (vulvodynia) and whilst there we discussed my other conditions such as fibro, m.e./CFS, crohns, IBS, hormone disorders, vaso depressor syncope, migraines and constant daily headaches, vertigo so on.. Anyway, I've sufferered from fibro and m.e for many yrs severely and tried lots of drugs over the years and I have become very drug sensitive and suffer from multiple chemical/household/food etc allergy symptoms daily. The Doctor has suggested trying duloxetine, gaba' or pregab' again as I couldn't remember what I've tried previously.

I know I've tried amiltriptylene which made me drowsy even at a very low dose. I currently just use zapain but can only take one at a time due to severe nausea wih 2 and even that makes me sleepy and makes my stomach problems worse as I have chronic daily stomach/bowel problems.

Which of the above drugs have people found to have the least side effects as I'm really nervous of taking any more? How long did people take them for before noticing any difference and if you had to come back off them how did you do it?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

P.
phoenix67
UKFM Member

Re: pain clinic - duloxetine, gabapentin and pregablin

Postby MrsMcCabe » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:17 pm

I had the same reaction with Amitryptiline and so have recently started duloxetine at a really low dose . It has worked brilliantly. Tried going up to but it made me a bit jittery and manic...so back to the for me. Only took about 3 or 4 days for me to get the benefit of them.

I don't have any side effects at other than a reduced appetite (not a bad thing for me). But at , I couldn't sleep, concentration was terrible, teeth grinding, and manic.

I know I am lucky to find something that has worked for me so quickly, but it could be worth a try for you too!

I haven't tried Gabapentin and Pregabalin so couldn't comment on those.

Good Luck!
MrsMcCabe
UKFM Newbie

Postby g1ng3r2k6 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:47 pm

Unfortunately drugs effect different people in different ways , anitrip is a depressing but can be used for pain. It's normally used at night time to help sleep . Which with decent nights sleep help reduces pain levels. It made me aggressive tho which common side effect.

Best way just try them for at least 4 week and see what happens , with high level painkillers they will make you sleepy to your body adjusts and get use to them.
g1ng3r2k6
UKFM Newbie

Postby phoenix67 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:11 pm

Hi, thanks for replying. I've had to reduce a lot of my meds now because they worked less and less after a time and I needed higher and higher to work which in turn causes massive side effects.

If I get bad effects from duloxetine, is it easy to come off without any problems as I think I will give it a try for a few weeks but you just stop tasking them or does it have to be a gradual reduction?
phoenix67
UKFM Member

Postby soretro » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:42 pm

I have the same sensitivity to meds like you describe. Your list of conditions sounds similar to mine too, and I've developed Vulvodynia to add to my 'list' in the last 18 months - it's a miserable pain, sorry to hear you have it too.
I have previously not done well on Gabapentin, Lyrica (Pregablin), Duloxetine. The side-effects were too much for me even on low doses.
I found out that Nortriptyline rather than Amitriptyline is the better AD drug of the two to use to experience fewer side-effects. Amitriptyline is usually prescribed for Vulvodynia pain management. However, Nortriptyline is the exactly the same drug as Amitriptyline but it has fewer side-effects. I couldn't handle the Amitriptyline (even though I started at a ridiculously low dose), so I am now going to give Nortriptyline a go. If you are sensitive to medication, you should rather try Nortriptyline - not Amitriptyline. I don't understand why doctors don't just prescribe Nortriptyline, which is well-known to have fewer side effects compared to Ami, to someone who presents a case of being (historically) sensitive to meds - maybe it's slightly more expensive, maybe they just like to see Ami crossed off as an option first because it's the most conventional, popular start?!
Also, ask to be referred to a pelvic pain physio for help with the Vulvodynia. I have started seeing a pelvic pain physio - I did research about Vulvodynia treatments and had to educate my gynae! Some hospitals even have special pelvic pain clinics. It's worth asking about these things, as they never seem to be offered upfront!
soretro
UKFM Member

Postby coletalbot » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:40 pm

I was told to take Amitriptaline in the evening and then it's beneficial.
Gabapentine at highest dose didn't help me and it gave me the side affect of scabs all over my head, big pieces of dandruff and an inch of greasy skin around my hairline.

Daily cronic stomach and bowel problems? - IBS another Fibro symptom.
coletalbot
UKFM Member

Postby dove55 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:41 pm

I have been on duloxetine twice a day for the past year it has helped somewhat with cluster headache not helped with fibromyalgia pain but has helped me cope a bit better.has helped with IBS. Only side effect makes me put on weight I cannot tolerate some drugs seems to be a common thing with fibromyalgia. Worth a try like any major drug should come off slowly if need to .Hope you get on ok as miserable life otherwise.
dove55
UKFM Newbie

Postby sandiepandie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:51 pm

Ive tried most things and found nothing worked for the pain itself. I take amitrypaline at night to make me drowsy as I sleep only a few hours at best.

Pregablin did nothing at all for me except make me feel spaced out all the time.
sandiepandie
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:12 pm

Hi all,

I've edited some of the posts and removed any reference to exact doses.

Claire
xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby vechristie » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:16 am

I have a sensitivity to most medications and have a really bad reaction to gabapentine, pregabalin and amatriptaline, depression, not sleeping , not being able to focus attention ect ect ect. i nearly crashed my car looking at the pretty clouds ( driving is essental where we live) i lost focus while cooking one day and burned the evening meal so badly nearly caused a fire, found myself looking at the river i walk every day with my dog and being very tempted to " fall in" , if i had nt had the dog with me i am not sure if i would of stopped, even though i have a loving hubby and 2 beautiful children and so many reasons to live , it scares me even now.
i am on a very low dose of duluxatine ( 1 twice a day or 3 times a day if i can) just now and though my hubby says i have started to snore really badly, i have less pain in my shoulders and legs and therefor seem to be sleeping a little better, i am having to take ondansetron twice a day and omeprazole once a day to counteract the side effects but on balance, AT THE MOMENT it is worth while but not sure in the long run . i also have Lidocaine infusions once every 4-5 weeks which help with the nerve pain i suffer
vechristie
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication