Pain and anti depressants

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain and anti depressants

Postby Mk1divemaster » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi all,
Has anyone been prescribed an anti depressant and found there pain gets worse? I feel as though my pain has escalated since I've been put on sertraline.
Anyone else experienced this ? And did the pain go when you stopped the ad? If you stopped it ? , or did you stay on it and it eventually got easier?
Any input would be appreciated cheers
Mk1divemaster
UKFM Member

Re: Pain and anti depressants

Postby Jane C » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi and yes to the increased pain with sertriline. I can only speak from my own experience, my meds were increased approx October 15 and only when reading the side effects did I realise that it was the medication causing so many horrible extra problems, something no one needs on top of fibro. I've been coming off sertriline with the help of my doctor since January and it's been really unpleasant. Hopefully you have an understanding doctor you can discuss your problems with but I suggest that you never stop taking the tablets without help and advice. It could just be that your body is taking time to adjust to sertriline and the pain will go, I really hope so for you. Good luck and best wishes for you feeling much better soon
Jane C
UKFM Newbie

Re: Pain and anti depressants

Postby Mk1divemaster » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi jane , thanks for your comment, was the pain getting worse for you ? My dr just told me to stop taking them, and gave me amitriptaline 10 mg to take at night instead. Caught between the devil and deep blue sea at moment ! The sertraline helped for years but I came off it when I thought I was better. It just isn't helping at all at moment been up and down on 100-50mg and scared to totally stop.
Mk1divemaster
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication