Ami and sertraline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Ami and sertraline

Postby Mk1divemaster » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi ,
Has anyone ever been on this combination of meds sertraline in the morning
Then amitryptoline at night ? What was your reaction? Did the combination work ?
Mk1divemaster
UKFM Member

Re: Ami and sertraline

Postby judipat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:16 pm

Hi
I have recently changed to this combo but i take sertraline and ami..... I take both at night. I was on citalipram for many years and wanted to try ami for the pain, however, you cant take them together so swapped the citalapram for sertraline. So far, so good - I did drop down to from of ami as I felt really zombeish in the mornings. Doc said I can increase the sertraline to get the correct dose but I hav'nt so far.
How is it for you???
Judi
judipat
UKFM Member

Postby judipat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 am

Morning
I wrote the above quite late (for me) last night, so thought I would add a few things. Firstly, it is sertraline not , which I can increase.
Last couple of nights I've had trouble getting to sleep. Although tired, as soon as my head hits the pillow, my brain goes into overdrive and starts racing and just random thoughts and images - very wierd. However, once I get to sleep, I'm getting a good few hours. I was reading some more info on sertraline last night and it seems this is quite common. Also read that it takes 5/6 weeks to stabilize and get rid of side affects. I'm going to stay on the sertraline ami for to rest of this week and then try upping the sertraline to .
Hope that makes sense
Judi
judipat
UKFM Member

Postby Mk1divemaster » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:27 pm

Hi Judi,
I've been on Sertraline for 6 weeks now, started on then went up to , but I had to come back down to as I thought it was increasing my pain slightly. my dr said we should try Ami at night because in small doses it has an effect on pain apparently.
I kept putting off taking the ami as I was a bit concerned about the "groggy feeling " that people mention. But I bit the bullet last night and took it, weren't to bad, so will see how I am after a week on this combo. I take the sertraline in the morning Drs orders! I must admit I've been on Sert in the past and it worked a treat, but this time around it don't seem to be having the pain relieving effect I had before. I'm still wondering if it is making my pain worse or that I'm going through a particularly bad flare at moment.Sertraline does give you bad start up side effects, but usually if you can stick it out it will work.have you had any increase in pain / burning sensations since starting it ?
If you want any more advice or info please PM me , I'd be happy to chat with you
Mk1divemaster
UKFM Member

Postby judipat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:03 am

Hi again
Its very early days for me with this combination so I will stick with it - must admit, dont feel too great at the moment. Feel very weak and tired - pain is about the same but anxiety is worse. I have felt very shakey and a bit panicky during the day but happy to say that has settled tonight. Having FM, its very difficult to know whether its the meds or a flare - all you can do is continue with the meds, past the side affects and see if its works for you - trial and error really.
Good night
Judi
judipat
UKFM Member

Postby Mk1divemaster » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:01 pm

Hi,
Sertraline does make you jittery before you see the benefit, I'm sure if you stick it out , every thing will look better past the side effects , I seem to be sleeping a bit better taking the ami , I hope it continues.
Take care,
Mark
Mk1divemaster
UKFM Member

Postby judipat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:35 am

Hi Mark
Once I'm asleep I am definately sleeping better too, getting a good 7/8 hours which is unheard of for me. Long may it continue - if I get enough sleep, I feel more able to cope with everything else.
Feeling better every day so that is a good sign.
Take care
Judi
judipat
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi,

I've removed all references to specific doses, what works for one person might not work for another, it's best to discuss doses with your doctor.

Thanks
Claire
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication