Advice on drug combinations

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Advice on drug combinations

Postby DanielleJensen » Mon May 16, 2016 6:45 pm

I was wondering if anybody could help me please? After undergoing lots of investigations over the course of 2 years, I have finally been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I have tried various medications, including dosulepin, which just made made feel like the walking dead and about 6 months ago they put me on 20mg of amitriptyline. In addition to this, I also take 60 mg of co-codomol 4 x daily, 20 mg of Fluoxetine and 20 mg of omeprazole.

Unfortunately, I'm still in a lot of pain and night-time is especially bad. Because of this, the consultant prescribed me with 50mg of tramadol. I have been on various websites that say it is potentially life threatening or can cause serious problems like seizures etc. if tramadol and fluoxetine are taken together. In addition, it also recommends that Fluoxetine and amitriptyline should not be taken together either.

I have already been suffering with anxiety because of the fear of having an overdose due to the sheer volume of drugs I am taking and now I'm scared to take the tramadol even though I feel like I really need it to be able to sleep at night.

In short, I just need to know from other fibromyalgia patients whether they too have taken this combination and if they have experienced any issues with the combination?

I look forward to hearing from somebody that can offer some help.

Danielle
DanielleJensen
UKFM Newbie

Re: Advice on drug combinations

Postby Garyl » Mon May 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Danielle omeprazole is a gastric pill i take it, as stops Acid reflux, for pain i a on a combination of Codine Nefopam and paracetomol the one pill i was on that helped was stopped due to it caused me to have high blood pressure. Hope you can get something to help as is annoying i have other health difficulties as well as Fibromyalgia, I know how you are feeling hope doctors can help
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby DanielleJensen » Tue May 17, 2016 6:36 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. It's really difficult trying to find something that will enhance my quality of life now without causing any long term risks.
DanielleJensen
UKFM Newbie

Postby Garyl » Tue May 17, 2016 8:19 am

It is difficult Danielle, my Fibro is enhanced now by a enlarged heart, but i have fought for past 20 years,So nothing will beat me positivit y does help
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Tue May 17, 2016 10:13 am

A pharmacist is the best to tell you what drugs interact with others.
I take 15 different lots of medication and I am fine, a few weeks ago my GP gave me a prescription and my Pharmacist said NO as they would interact with 3 of my medication,
PHARMACIST IS ALWEAYS BEST IT'S WHAT THEY ARE BEST FOR TRAINED AND QUALIFIED TO DO.
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby lynda 24 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:44 pm

hello have you considered asking you for a drug review , you are entitled to this :-)
lynda 24
UKFM Newbie

Postby DanielleJensen » Wed May 18, 2016 7:09 am

Thank you to everybody that has replied. I think it's a good idea to ask the pharmacist. It is the same one that issues each prescription and they did flag up when I first went on amitriptyline. I will go in and speak with them.

Thanks again.
DanielleJensen
UKFM Newbie

Postby frimo » Wed May 18, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi Danielle, I take venlafaxine 220mg morphine 40mg Tramodol 150mg dizapan 15mg arcoxia 50mg thyroxine 150 micro gram propanadol 50mg. I've also been on amitriptyline at the same time but was on higher doses of these tablets. I honestly don't believe after many years that we benefit from tablet's sorry I missed lyrica out of my cocktail those did work and very well. I've got other health issues hence why so many tablets. In the last year I've stopped taking 5 dizapan 4 tramadol and working my way of all of them. If you can avoid the tramadol you would be doing yourself a massive favor because coming of those have been hell check the internet on them.
It's taken me twenty five years to get on all these tablets mainly due to breaking my neck but I'll be happy to be of the lot within five years. Good luck.
frimo
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication