Physiotherapy

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Physiotherapy

Postby Bobby16 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:37 pm

Hi I'm due my first appointment with physiotherapy on Monday. Any advice on what to expect and what to ask. Thanks
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Re: Physiotherapy

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:42 am

Hi,

Heres a link I done a while back on information on physio, I hope it helps. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19152

First time is mainly just an assessment and to go through your notes and asking you questions, then its working out an action plan.

I would write some notes down of what you want to ask, this can vary amoungst many of us, all depends on your symptoms. There tends to be a basic NHS protocol when it comes to fibromyalgia. Things may differ if you also have other illnesses.

Hope it goes Ok
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby exhausted » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:46 pm

I'd like to add, please have the courage to tell the physio if they want you to do something that is either too painful or which you know will affect you badly. Ask if there are ways in which that exercise can be modified. I have spinal disc problems as well so some of their stretching exercises are impossible for me. Don't be forced into something that makes you worse but do be prepared to try at your own level. Moderate exercise and stretching really does help Fibro. I do gardening because I can't walk but I have to restrict how much I do to about 10 minutes at a time. It's so tempting to keep going and end up overdoing things.
exhausted
UKFM Newbie

Postby Bobby16 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Thanks I will not down some questions to ask .
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:59 pm

That was jot.
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:57 pm

Went to physiotherapy today they put me on a waiting list for a 6 week course for fibromyalgia sufferes.when she asked me about the pain and how it affects me. You guessed it I broke down and cried. My husband was a bit shocked. I don't think he could have imagined how bad things are.They told me to tell occupational health in work. I told her I'd had a few falls. Have balance problems. Sometimes have difficulty walking or weight baring. I didn't get any advice on problems like that .
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:10 pm

I hope the 6 weeks course will help you.

I think (although not 100% sure) the OT in the work place is mainly for issues when in work and looking into anything that may help you like a comfortable chair and taking regular breaks etc...

I would have another chat with your OT and explain what physio has said.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Eian Mcneely » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:30 am

Hi Bobby, good to hear six week course will definitely prepare you to transform towards better living...hoping things will change for you Good Luck!! ;-)
Eian Mcneely
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks everyone.
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication