Drugs

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Drugs

Postby Bobby16 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:14 pm

I've had amitriptyline prescribed 10mg of a night. Prescribed 3 months ago when I was diagnosed. I promised the rhumatlogist I would try them. They still go unopened. I've had a few reactions to medications that have made me very unwell. I'm frightened to take them. I have severe fatigue. I can't see how they will help. Only make the fatigue worse is what I'm thinking. Any advice. Thanks.
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Re: Drugs

Postby perseus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:06 am

I took amitriptyline during the early stages of fibromyalgia. It was very effective for a while, however after performing some decorating on the house the pain returned I I turned to other drugs.

According to the NHS this class of drugs

boost the levels of certain chemicals that carry messages to and from the brain, known as neurotransmitters.
Low levels of neurotransmitters may be a factor in fibromyalgia, and it's believed that increasing their levels may ease the widespread pain associated with the condition.

It will also help you to sleep which is useful with fibro. So I would definitely try them if prescribed.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby Bobby16 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi. I've still not tried my medication. I'm thinking that it will make the severe fatigue worse. What concerns me now is, Im in a continual rotation when I go to bed. The pain and muscle problems are bad. Is it a natural response to pain. A sub concious response. Telling me something is wrong and I need to move.sometimes my limbs are numb, totally. I think if I take the medication, yes it might help me get a deep sleep. But will I be able to move at all if I'm not moving all night long. Thanks
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi Bobby

I found that when I took Amitriptyline, it did help for about 2 months, then stopped being effective.
The only issue I had with them, was a hangover feeling in the morning - I couldn't cope with that feeling.
It didn't increase the fatigue though, nor did I have any (more than usual) increased in morning stiffness.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi Lindy , I tried amitriptyline one night. Last week. I am trying to help put myself in a more positive position. I think it did help that night. The following day late afternoon I felt the effects of it. I could drive. my husband had to drive me. I'm not going to take another one.It was what I expected. Made the severe fatigue worse.
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication