Medications for muscle spasms?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Medications for muscle spasms?

Postby Harper27 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:59 am

Hi I'm new here and actually using my friends account to ask questions if anyone can help with them (although I do plan to join myself!) I have a rheumatologist appointment to confirm the diagnosis of fibro and my gp has discussed the treatment if it turns out I do have fibro. My main symptom is muscle spasms which don't generally hurt, they're just constant and annoying. My gp mentioned that there are medications for this but never mentioned anything specifically. Has anyone else been prescribed anything for muscle spasms and jerks? If so how was your experience with them? So far I've only been given Naproxen for any pain by another gp but it doesn't do anything and is making me sick, so he gave me Omeprazole. Also on Sertraline :-|
Harper27
UKFM Member

Re: Medications for muscle spasms?

Postby Harper27 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Also has anyone been on Methocarbamol? My uncle is in that for his back x
Harper27
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:49 pm

To help, if you put in Methocarbamol in the little search bar above (top of page) there are quiet a few topics on this you may want to read, may help.

I use Diazepam but this now is not on repeat so they use Methocarbamol alot. Baclofen is another medication you can take long term for muscle spasms.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Forgot to say that unless the spasms are causing you severe pain and effecting your every day life I very much doubt they will prescribe anything.

There very cautious in using muscle relaxants nowadays. I feel once you seen the consultant they can prescribe the relevant meds for your symptoms.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Harper27 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:36 pm

They do cause me to drop a lot of things. I can feel the muscles contract bit they don't usually hurt unless they're in my legs. Is this normal? Not really sure
Harper27
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication