How strong is tramadol?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How strong is tramadol?

Postby Laladog » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Just recently been prescribed this as cocodamol wasn't controlling the pain enough and wasn't agreeing with me. How much stronger is it than Kapake/Solpadol (30/500 cocodamol)?

Also could anyone tell me what the next step up from tramadol is? I'm just curious as I don't know a lot about painkillers. I'm also on Sertraline, Pregabalin, Amitryptiline, paracetamol and ibuprofen. Thank you :-D
Laladog
UKFM Member

Re: How strong is tramadol?

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Laladog wrote:
Also could anyone tell me what the next step up from tramadol is? I'm just curious as I don't know a lot about painkillers. I'm also on Sertraline, Pregabalin, Amitryptiline, paracetamol and ibuprofen. Thank you :-D

I would assume the next step up from Tramadol would be Morphine, athough this is a controlled drug.

You could also up the Iburofen to something like Naproxen which is a much stronger anti-inflammatory

Sertraline has different dosages so that can be reviewed, same as the others. So i would assume they may up the other dosages also.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Laladog » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Thanks for replying! My first answer to my first question. I take the maximum dosage of sertraline and Pregabalin and 50mg of ami so I don't know how much they can up them
Laladog
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Laladog wrote:

Also could anyone tell me what the next step up from tramadol is?

I take Tapentadol, whose general potency is somewhere between that of tramadol and morphine

https://journals.prous.com/journals/ser ... 4&p_IsPs=N
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby Laladog » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:23 pm

That's interesting about tapentadol, is it one of the lesser known painkillers?
Laladog
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:28 am

Probably because it was prescribed by a private pain consultant. GPs can prescribe if the original prescription is instructed by a Consultant, so I have it on NHS prescription now.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby leasloubg » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:54 am

my wife was on 8 tramadol a day, which they then increased to fentanyl patches at the same time. this caused her to be overdosing on opiates. the doctor told her to just stop taking the tramadol which she did. beware when coming off tramadol that you have to do it very slowly. 1 capsule less per week. yes that slowly. my wife is now on 135 mg morphine sulphate daily on top of the pregabalin, naproxen paracetamol, and many others. we are now looking to try and get her legal cannabvis.
leasloubg
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication