How strong is tramadol?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How strong is tramadol?

Postby Laladog » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Just recently been prescribed this as cocodamol wasn't controlling the pain enough and wasn't agreeing with me. How much stronger is it than Kapake/Solpadol (30/500 cocodamol)?

Also could anyone tell me what the next step up from tramadol is? I'm just curious as I don't know a lot about painkillers. I'm also on Sertraline, Pregabalin, Amitryptiline, paracetamol and ibuprofen. Thank you :-D
Laladog
UKFM Member

Re: How strong is tramadol?

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Laladog wrote:
Also could anyone tell me what the next step up from tramadol is? I'm just curious as I don't know a lot about painkillers. I'm also on Sertraline, Pregabalin, Amitryptiline, paracetamol and ibuprofen. Thank you :-D

I would assume the next step up from Tramadol would be Morphine, athough this is a controlled drug.

You could also up the Iburofen to something like Naproxen which is a much stronger anti-inflammatory

Sertraline has different dosages so that can be reviewed, same as the others. So i would assume they may up the other dosages also.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Laladog » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Thanks for replying! My first answer to my first question. I take the maximum dosage of sertraline and Pregabalin and 50mg of ami so I don't know how much they can up them
Laladog
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Laladog wrote:

Also could anyone tell me what the next step up from tramadol is?

I take Tapentadol, whose general potency is somewhere between that of tramadol and morphine

https://journals.prous.com/journals/ser ... 4&p_IsPs=N
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby Laladog » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:23 pm

That's interesting about tapentadol, is it one of the lesser known painkillers?
Laladog
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:28 am

Probably because it was prescribed by a private pain consultant. GPs can prescribe if the original prescription is instructed by a Consultant, so I have it on NHS prescription now.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Return to Treatments & Medication