Gabapentin vs codeine.

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gabapentin vs codeine.

Postby Akardy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:05 pm

So the only pain releif my doctors have really offered me so far is Gabapentin, which I've not really found very effective and has some unpleasant side effects...drowsiness ect.

What I've found a lot more effective is codeine, I've not been prescribed it but you can buy low strength stuff over the counter in the UK. There's side effects there too but I find them more tolerable, especially as actually notice a big difference in my levels of pain after taking it. Obviously the big downside is it's addictive, I'm sure I'm already addicted, but only at a very low dosage.

I've had fibro for six years now...I'm sure I'll have it the rest of my life, it would be lovely to get to a point where I'm ok without pain meds but that's hard to imagine right now without a severe loss of quality of life.

So my options seem to be threefold;

1) Gradually lower and stop the codeine and keep increase the gabapentin in the hope that a higher dosage will have the same or better effects without the addiction.

2) Slowly stop taking the Gabapentin and just get by on over the counter Codeine.

3) Go back to my doctor, see if they have a better solution that isn't either of the above, but in the expectation that they'll probably tell me to keep taking Gabapentin.
Akardy
UKFM Newbie

Re: Gabapentin vs codeine.

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi, my advice would be to see your GP and work out a pain control plan with them. I would also mention the OTC codeine you have been taking and how much better the affects are but you feel you could get addicted to it as there maybe an alternative or put you on a prescribed dosage and monitor you.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Akardy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Yeah, thanks Lisa....I'm sure it is a much better idea for my GP to know what's going on. I've been thinking I'll give the increased dosage of Gabapentin a go, I have to go back in a couple of weeks or so anyway, if things haven't improved by then I'll try and be a bit more forceful in my belief that I need to try something else.
Akardy
UKFM Newbie

Postby perseus » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:46 pm

Akardy

I used to take another anti-convulsant drug called Pregabalin for fibro, but I suffered excessive sleepiness as well. It was also difficult to withdraw from.

Has your GP not discussed antidepressants for fibro such as Cymbalta?

http://www.cochrane.org/CD007115/NEUROM ... bromyalgia
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Return to Treatments & Medication