Tens machines

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tens machines

Postby Laurajojo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:36 am

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but has anyone has found that tens machines help them? Just wondered how difficult they would be to use if your pain, like mine is widespread over the body.
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Re: Tens machines

Postby shazq » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi
I have one and yes it does work for me, i have a 4 pad one so you can spread them around. Mine is mobile so you can walk around with them.
Some days my back is so painful so i use the Tens machine to help me get around the house otherwise i would be laid out.

i have different pulses & strengths.
I know they dont work for everyone but they are worth a try. You can get them from the chemist or on line.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Korakes » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:09 pm

I got my Tens from the pain clinic at the hospital you try before you buy, they charged me £20. I found they work good with moderate pain starting with using it twice a day for 20 mins. Now i can have it on for 3 hrs before bedtime before it takes the pain away so it does help, i would give it a try anything is worth trying if it takes the pain away or reduces it.
Korakes
UKFM Newbie

Postby Laurajojo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:12 am

Thanks guys. I will definitely give it a try. I think my sister has one, she suffers from arthritis. So I will ask if I can borrow hers first to see if it helps. Thanks again. :wave:
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:39 pm

Hello

I had one of these on loan from the pain clinic for a month and if it helped me I had to buy my own. I have got mine on now and wouldn't do without it. Even though I have pain all over the majority of my pain is in my arms.

Sometimes I have it on all day and take it off to go to bed. Strong painkillers make me feel sick so never take the maximum dose and my tens machine is the only thing that would give me relief. I do find that during the day I have to keep switching it higher and higher but that's okay.

One thing I would say if you do buy a tens machine is make sure that it has a lock key on it so you cannot accidentally switch it up. The first one I bought was from physio med which is the same as the hospitals, she told me to get one with a fliptop so I didn't accidentally press the machine up. I didn't listen and bought the cheapest. But it's like having a electric shock when you accidentally turn the buttons up.

I then looked on Amazon and bought a Tenscare for around £20. I do like this one better and use it most of the time because it locks and it has different modes so I don't have to keep fiddling with any settings. I use the other one now if im just sat down and I need to use it somewhere else on my body.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby Laurajojo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:51 pm

Thanks Lorraine. Would you believe I was looking on Amazon yesterday and saw the one you are talking about from Tenscare. It had some good reviews so I think I might get that one.
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication