Remember to register to vote

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Remember to register to vote

Postby perseus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:51 pm

Previously, one person in every household was responsible for registering everyone else who lives at that address. Under individual electoral registration, each person is now required to register to vote individually, rather than by household. There are fears many students may be excluded who have a low enough turnout as it is.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

What is the real motive behind individual voter registration?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... tive-party
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Re: Remember to register to vote

Postby perseus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:06 am

Once again we are faced with a general election. I heard on the 'Last Leg' show last night that only one in three disabled people vote! No doubt many people are weary and don't think any politician has ever helped them. You could see this the other way around though. No politician will help if they don't bother to vote, why should they? 12M people didn't vote last time. Bigger than any party majority.

Of course it's equally important to find out what the candidates stand for and what are their priorities. You can examine your MPs voting record here

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/

Type in your postcode then press 'click on full vote analysis page for more'.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby perseus » Mon May 08, 2017 7:13 pm

To vote in the General Election on 8 June, you need to register by 11:59pm on 22 May. You don’t need to register again if you’ve already registered.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Remind your children to register if they are 18+ especially if they are students or have moved address lately. Young people are another class of voter with low turnout, sometimes because they find out they are not registered until too late.
perseus

Postby *Lisa* » Sat May 13, 2017 10:45 am

To be honest, I wasnt going to vote this time around because Im fed up with it all and you can never trust them! promise you things and it never happens and all the lies :roll: Im not swinging in any direction and wasnt going to vote until someone said to me... Vote for the lesser 1 of all evils! :shock: :shock: and another person said... Vote for the party that hasnt killed off the disabled! :yikes: I see their points! :shock: :shock:

Then I saw a link on facebook that said a NO vote ment a vote for tories :-?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

So as im not so much political I do these quizes to help me :lol: so if your like me and have no clue, not really into politics but we really do need to vote then here is a linky to a quiz that may help you decide who is the party for you.

https://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby perseus » Sat May 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Lisa

I've not seen that quiz before. It's another useful tool for basing votes on principles rather than personalities.

As you say, the parties are only as good as their honesty which isn't usually very high. A problem with previous General elections, between 1987 and 2015, is that the large parties had remarkably similar policies dressed up in a slightly different way, so people had little choice. However, for the first time in a quarter of a century, there are large differences in the visions of the leadership between Labour and the Conservatives. It might be the last chance in our lifetimes we can make a difference.

For those who are concerned about the health service, benefits, pensions, house prices and rents the result will be critical to their future. That's why it's so surprising (and frustrating) to see so few disabled people vote.
perseus

Postby perseus » Sun May 21, 2017 12:48 pm

*Lisa* wrote:To be honest, I wasnt going to vote this time around because Im fed up with it all and you can never trust them! promise you things and it never happens and all the lies :roll: Im not swinging in any direction and wasnt going to vote until someone said to me... Vote for the lesser 1 of all evils! :shock: :shock: and another person said... Vote for the party that hasnt killed off the disabled! :yikes: I see their points! :shock: :shock:

Then I saw a link on facebook that said a NO vote ment a vote for tories :-?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

So as im not so much political I do these quizes to help me :lol: so if your like me and have no clue, not really into politics but we really do need to vote then here is a linky to a quiz that may help you decide who is the party for you.

https://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz

Not voting certainly has consequences if you particularly dislike one or more of the parties or their policies. Voting for any of the others helps to deny them a seat and power to put those policies into action. Non-voters could easily turn an election round. These are the results of the last election, but you don't usually see them like this!
The last day for registering is tomorrow!

perseus

Postby perseus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:47 am

The election saw a return of the youth vote which most of the pollsters had dismissed. They made quite a difference to the outcome in the end.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCvjSmfWsAItCWB.jpg
perseus

Return to Politics & Lobbying