Denmark declares ME sufferers as 'insane'

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Denmark declares ME sufferers as 'insane'

Postby Ldyalb » Wed May 02, 2012 12:26 am

"Very sad news from Denmark: Danish Board of Health threatens to commit seriously ill ME-patient to a psychiatric hospital
The Danish Board of Health says that the diagnosis of ME is the same as insanity and wants to forcibly remove a 23-year old woman, Karina, from her family home. This could happen as soon as May 2nd. Karina is totally bed-bound, is extremely light and sound sensitive and is to weak to talk. She is so extremely ill that there is a real chance that a move could be fatal. Karina’s parents have been trying to get permission to set up an IV at home to help keep Karina alive, but instead the health department decided that Karina is mentally ill and should be removed. The family has been repeatedly told by Danish doctors that the diagnosis of ME is not recognized.

“They do not understand how sick an ME-patient can be with this disease and their ignorance can now have fatal consequences for Karina, “says Rebecca Hansen, Chairman of the ME Association in Denmark.

Please help us by spreading this story on-line and to the media. We would like to get journalists interested in writing about it.

I found this story on the Spartacus Report's facebook page. I appreciate it's not about FIbro but the two conditions do share similar symptoms and this story is absolutely disgusting. Awareness of Karina's plight needs to be raised. The Danish Health Board needs to know it's wrong about ME. Please let your family and friends know about this.

It's late so I haven't got an official link (it was C+P'd onto the facebook group) but if I find one tomorrow I will link to it.
Last edited by denys on Wed May 02, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removal of email address as not appropriate
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Re: Denmark declares ME sufferers as 'insane'

Postby denys » Wed May 02, 2012 4:15 pm

I have removed the contact address from this as its not asking for signatures etc. adding email addresses to the forum always pose a risk and therefore only those relating to FM are allowed

This article is disgusting, no sick peron should be treated this way and I hope the lady is question gets help the help and support she deserves
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Re: Denmark declares ME sufferers as 'insane'

Postby Ldyalb » Wed May 02, 2012 5:44 pm

No worries, never thought of that when C+Ping myself lol.

http://www.euro-me.org/news-Q12012-002.htm

Some more info on ME in Denmark here. Have just been telling my Dad about it, he's shocked as they're normally a progressive country!

:fingerscrossed: for Karina, hope she is able to stay at home under the care of her lovely Mum and Dad. She's the same age as me and it's still nice to be able to cuddle my Mum when I feel rough. I still have 'I want my Mum' moments. I hope she can stay at home, it's the best place for her, and who can care for her better than her devoted parents?
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to Politics & Lobbying