Going to see my MP

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Going to see my MP

Postby Grannypants » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:51 pm

After a long battle with DLA I have decided to go and see my local MP. I'm not sure what to expect or even if he can help but I feel I have to do something or I might go insane. If anyone has any advice for me it would be most appreciated.
Grannypants
UKFM Member

Re: Going to see my MP

Postby shazq » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:05 pm

:goodluck2:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby macca » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:47 am

Hi, i got our labour MP involved in my wifes case and he was superb. Importantly don't expect an MP to be able to circumvent the law, they can't. But what they can do is call DWP to account for their actions and decisions. DWP tend to get twitchy when there is a suggestion of scrutiny on the things that they do.

Key thing is to clearly evidence your health problems with back up to your MP as they need to be able to see that there is a case to be fought for.

Good luck with it.

Macca
macca
UKFM Member

Postby Grannypants » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 am

Thanks guys. My GP has said that before she can do a detailed report, I will need a medical examination which will cost me in the region of £50 which I cannot afford. I am going to try to push for the DWP to send a doctor out to do a medical, not sure if this is possible but worth a try.
Grannypants
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:13 pm

To be honest £50 is a bargain but i totally understand its very frustrating if you can't fund it. My Wife's GP charged us £150 for a report that summarised her medical history and included a current physical report. He even charged us £30 for a signature and a date stamp on a disabled persons travel pass application.

The process itself was bad for my wife as after his physical examination she was left in a lot of pain, and had to get loaded on Tramdol and go to bed for the rest of the day, but that report proved vital as it blow the ATOS joke report out of the water.

Is there a family member that could help you out financially or will the GP let you make installments to pay the bill perhaps?

Macca
macca
UKFM Member

Postby Grannypants » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Well, Friday went ok-ish. I was having a pretty good day pain wise but couldn't speak without crying, I was just a total mess. Anyway I went through everything and his secretary is going to speak to the disability and carers service and get back to me, hopefully tomorrow. She is going to request they send a doctor out to examine me and if that's not possible, my parents are going to pay for me to be examined by my GP. I am now having a really bad flare, all of the tender points are warm to touch and incredibly sore. I've had 5hrs sleep since Thursday and I've got an ear infection and a boil starting in my ear. Thankfully I got some anti biotics in time before the boil fully developed. Really feeling sorry for myself today but tomorrow's a new day and all that.
Grannypants
UKFM Member

Return to Politics & Lobbying