Proposed new legislation

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Proposed new legislation

Postby ellen b » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:27 pm

The Public Consultation Report has just been released in relation to Disability Living Allowance Reform.
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dla-reform-consultation.pdf
www.dwp.gov.uk
I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this, hope this is useful. :D
The mind is mostly willing, the body has other ideas XXX
ellen b
UKFM Member

Re: Proposed new legislation

Postby shazq » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Thanks for the link ellen, i will have a read in a mo. :hugs: :xmaswave1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Adele » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:31 pm

i was having a good day until i read that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :evil:
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby Elsbeth » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:52 pm

I didn't think it was that bad actually and can see the benefits.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby Fairydust » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:00 pm

ok good news and bad news

Good news
IF they keep to what they say it will improve the benifit and open ways to get others without having to go through another process.
IF they kepp it as simple as they say it should be easier to claim and there will be another level of appeal.
IF they organise it sensibly [some hope] then there should be less who get it and don't deserve it and more getting it who need it.
IF they organise it well then it will be a simpler system of what level gets awarded

Bad news
Every one on DLA will have to apply for the new benifit.
As there are less levels of benifit will they use this to put the amount down
Not clear if the old DLA will stop while the new benifit comes in
There are unlikly to be any rewards that are not subject to periodic review
If refused then other benifits will be harder to get
The 'Big brother' network takes a step closer as the information is shared across other, non-related agencies such as Local Authorities.

My guess - it's a way of creating a huge Quango which will take years to do anything and cost three times more than now. It's going to take years to re-assess all the current awards and check all the new claims so the process will be slower than it already is. Pure political crap.
I'm sure I'll think of something really good when this Headache goes away.
Fairydust
UKFM Member

Postby matthew » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:16 pm

BBC News - "Benefit change 'could breach law'".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12141790
"I'd rather struggle through life with my eyes open than sail through life with them closed"
matthew
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:15 am

Interesting :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby tentimes » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:06 am

I don't think it will go through. They are going to find it increasingly difficult to get nasty legislation through, after the student loans and cuts fiasco. My guess is they will much around with it until about a year out from the next election, then kick it into the grass for after the election, after which labour will be back in and it will be back to the drawing board re these changes. It's a coming though - unless we see a better economy very soon then they will be looking to save money, and the sick and disabled are the easiest to take it from as htey make the least fuss. Sad, but true. Right now I feel like we are fighting a losing battle even trying to persuade ordinary lib dem members. The vulnerable have gone out of fashion since the country lost all that money.
tentimes
UKFM Member

Postby dimfunsize » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Thank you for this, just read it, very interesting.....

I noticed at the end you can sent your comments regarding this (organisations). Do you think by any chance that someone with fibro would be informed to give there comments on how bad we have it in life in general. People think oh you look fine, but you know quite well yourself and your GP knows that you are not. IS THIS A WAY FORWARD TO GET FM NOTICED. Or how can we get the government to notice that FM is real and it effects our / families lives too.

Thanks you for bringing this to the board. :clap:
dimfunsize
UKFM Member

Postby mellabella » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:31 pm

It's so frustrating, i'd be right up for joining in a riot against this. but unlike students. disabled people just can't take to the streets. Also i think it should be a job requirement that any minister dealing with disability issues, should have a disability themselves.
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby lillly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi all,
Well im very sceptical about the reforms but that could just be my experience with ATOS and my worries that sick and disabled people are being proclaimed fit to work when in truth it seems to be the opposite.
What I dont understand is how can they expect an employer to have a person who is too ill to work on the premises...thats if they would be well enough to get dressed,out the hoose get to work and then work be jesus im shatterd just thinking about it...I would love to be back at work as most would and am increasingly frusrated,upset the more I experience in this whole processs from begging for a diagnosis to the benefits system thats as well as dealing with Fibrobloodymyalgia,and I know its the same for other invisable illnesses...oh by the way I always wonder why its called ibvisable I can see mine.
Anyway sorry I realise im waffling my main point is children and young people,these new and harsh benefits tests which are proclaiming people fit for work are harsh and I worry in the cover up who is going to support young carers,it is hard enough to get support in place (i used to be an educatioal social worker)before I lost my health.
Now with more and more people proclaimed fit to work this will surely have adverse effects on children caring for their parents as well as extreem poverty and stress into the equasion.It will have a knock on effect on the young persons education ,health and personal life,If the parents are not getting any help or support the childre will suffer too.
I am planning a letter to No 10 about this as I worry it is an accident waiting to happen as more services are being cut...Im scared I really am
Lillly x
lillly
UKFM Member

Postby mellabella » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:46 pm

I can understand your fear lilly and the issue of young carers.. also your right, what employer in their right mind is going to employ a disabled person when they have so many other people they can choose from.. i think that is a matter for the human rights people and i read that they are getting on the case at the moment..

People might like to visit this site ( if i can be allowed to post a link here ) http://thebrokenofbritain.blogspot.com/ or go to the 'broken of Britain' Disability rights sight and join with the many other disabled of the U.K in blogging about how they and their family and friends are affected by their disability and also what DLA means to them and what loosing it would do to them. I looked in yesterday and found only 3 fibro sufferers had blogged compared to many who had blogged about other conditions they have.. i am not sure weather people with Fibro are aware of this site?. I've yet to add my blog but i have added a comment. this site also has the latest on the DLA situation.
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby lillly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:35 pm

I tried the broken Britain website,I have already been proactive sending off some emails to varios places to get someone to take on ATOS
all from that site.
It makes me feel a bit better than just cursing under my breath at the current situation,so thanks very much for the info even if I am just one more name to the petitions its worth it,
Thanks again
Lillly
lillly
UKFM Member

Postby lillly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:40 pm

Just wanted to let you know mumsnet are starting to voice their worries about DLA basically they say that the tabloids dont seem to be reporting any of the changes that are happening (apart from the guardian).
Its worth looking at.
Also DLA for all should be protected as anyone could become ill and need to claim in the future,after the all the reports in the papers this week regarding 97% are fit for work is ridiculus,I was so angry and am glad that forums are picking up on this .
Hopefully ATOS have been failing too many people and perhaps just perhaps it might come back to bite them on the bum.
Lillly
lillly
UKFM Member

Postby mellabella » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:46 am

Hi Lilly,

Those stats of 97 percent were so outrageous that I doubt weather they would hold much water with the general public given that the government are being shown to be total wan..rs.... ooops I mean total liars, given the situation with reneging on the student thing and protecting sure start ect ect...

I believe there is an air of revolution happening all over the place as people have become so media savvy, they are waking up to the obvious propaganda being put out. Perhaps Clegg and co would be wise to look at certain world events where people are saying enough is enough.. and have a good think.

I might have fibro but i'd be willing to take on a flare up of gigantic proportions if it meant my presence in a demo would make a difference for myself and future generations.
mellabella
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Politics & Lobbying