Parliment - DLA Fibro

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Parliment - DLA Fibro

Postby dimfunsize » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi, have just came across this site regarding DLA and fibro conditions. Has any one seen this before. I know it is dated 2010. How can we make the goverment understand that Fibro is real and we do need help . Hope you can get this. Please let me know what your feeling are on this. I dont know if I should be posting this but it just makes me :evil: :evil:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 304w0003.h

Dont think the link would work so I have copied and past what it says.

Social Security Benefits: Fibromyalgia
Mrs. Moon: To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what percentage of applicants for disability living allowance diagnosed with fibromyalgia have had their application approved. [318395]

Jonathan Shaw: The information is not available, as data on diagnosis for disallowed claims are not collected. This means that it is not possible to determine what percentage of applicants who listed Fibromyalgia on their claim form were allowed or disallowed.

4 Mar 2010 : Column 1320W

The amount of disability living allowance someone receives, depends on how much help they need with personal care and/or mobility. It is not dependent on whether they have a specific diagnosis or medical condition. For example, a customer would not be awarded disability living allowance on the basis of a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. The decision would be based upon their care/supervision needs and on the help they need to get around as a result of the any associated physical or psychological complications.

Mrs. Moon: To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what information her Department has issued to staff of the Disability and Carers Service with regard to fibromyalgia. [318399]

Jonathan Shaw: There is no specific internal guidance for Decision Makers about fibromyalgia.

Staff use the Decision Makers' Guide and the NHS Choices website, and specific advice is obtained on a case-by-case basis from health care professionals working under contract within the Department.
dimfunsize
UKFM Member

Re: Parliment - DLA Fibro

Postby fabme » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks for this and I have moved it to the appropriate section :D

fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks
4 Mar 2010 : Column 1320W

The amount of disability living allowance someone receives, depends on how much help they need with personal care and/or mobility. It is not dependent on whether they have a specific diagnosis or medical condition. For example, a customer would not be awarded disability living allowance on the basis of a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. The decision would be based upon their care/supervision needs and on the help they need to get around as a result of the any associated physical or psychological complications.

This is how it should be as DLA isnt dx dependant, as its about how your condition whatever it is affects your life
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Emerald » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:13 am

link isnt working but ive always advised people its symptoms not label. They need to know how your health affects your ability to live daily compared to a normal person. I dont think they are dismissing FM or any illness they are just stating it shouldnt be judged on a diagnosis/label alone as every illness effects each individual differently is how I percieve it.

You see all too often on forums, "Im now diagnosed with FM what benefits can I get" Im sure they are then miffed when I come along and burst their bubble explaining the above knowing how the DWP assess.
Emerald
UKFM Member

Postby nutty1 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:58 am

:wave: i,m sure they dont get miffed ,more likely confused esp ,the way forms are printed and fm causes lots of brain fog :? i know i did and it took alot out of me :facepalm: its good that you offer advice :flowers:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby stephanini » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:46 pm

I feel that its right that it should be awarded on how it effects your life rather than the actual diagnosis,

and also, they dont really need to know about firbromyalgia to be able to read what you have written on how your life is different from a normal healthy person.

obviously they wouldnt be able to be up to date on all medical conditions as there are so many, and they effect people in so many ways.
stephanini
UKFM Member

Return to Politics & Lobbying