Shoulder pain, bursitis?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Shoulder pain, bursitis?

Postby Flash » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:06 am

Hi folks, any advise please. Won't be able to see doc now until next weds, maybe later. Had enough ruined christmases so don't want another one. We all know this is the time for rushing around trying to get things done but I have hit a brick wall now.

I have had bad neck probs for some years now, prolapsed discs, arthritis etc. Now though, both my shoulders are in so much pain, it is spreading down my arms, left side worse, I cant put clothes on, it feels like someone is trying to rip my arm off.

now also have stabbing pain under the shoulder blade, mainly right side which spreads around the side under my arm deep into ribs. I am in a lot of pain generally as you will all understand but this is more recent and so much more unbearable.

I wonder if bursitis could be the cause, dont think I have had that before, that I know of. This is worse than I have ever had.

I am also feeling shivery down my spine and accross shoulers, deep down. I know bursitis is supposed to be hot but I can't think of anything else.

Any advise would help, just need my mind to be put at ease I think. Chrimbo shopping has been cancelled for today..

Hug to you all and merry Chrimbles.. :rudolph: :santchimney1: :xmastree1: :snowing1:
Flash
UKFM Member

Re: Shoulder pain, bursitis?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:55 pm

I have shoulder pain Flash, but noting like what you have described. Mine always seem to stem from an old neck injury that FM likes to turbo charge :shock: :shock: :shock:

I found this linky about shoulder bursitis http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/rotator ... rsitis.htm There might be some helpful bits in it for you, even if it's just something to make you feel a tad more comfortable until you can get to see someone about it.

If things get too much with it over the festivities (same with anything else) NHS Direct who may be able to advise you (http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/ phone: 0845 4647) or you could try your walk~in/drop~in centre/Out Of Hours Service.

Sorry I haven't got anything more helpful for you :( :( :( :(
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:57 pm

Could you get in to see your doc on Monday maybe :?: :?: :?: :?: cos at least then you can get some relief over Christmas :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Flash » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:20 am

Thanks Fluppy and Denys, The link was helpful and I have been resting today. Where I live, we don't have a drop in centre and our surgery is shut now until Wednesday. The nearest hospital is 10 miles away but is emergency only. I will ring NHS direct if it bothers me more just to see what they can advise for home care but I think, at the moment, I can manage it.

It's a nuisence as we already have enough to put up with so can do withou t the extras especially now.

Happy Christmas to you both. :santchimney1: :santchimney1:
:rudolph:

Hugs. :xmastree1: :hohoho1:
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Have you tried the ibuprofen gel rub, I have been having problems with my arm and Loubie recommended it, it has helped
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Never thought of Ibugel~stuff :oops: :oops: :oops: OH has used it on his back a number of times and he's found it helpful, as did his dad when bits of him were playing up.

Merry Chrissymuss to you as well :hohoho1: :hohoho1: :hohoho1: :xmasdance1: :xmasdance1: :xmasdance1: :rudolph: :rudolph: :rudolph:
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Norty eleves got in and started throwing snowballs!! Sounds better than why I really had to edit it.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:25 pm

Could be a frozen shoulder as very commen in fibros with muscle stiffness.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Soapbubbles » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:26 am

Hi Flash,
I've had pain in my left shoulder for the past 5 weeks. It got so bad I went to the drop in centre and they just said to take more amytriptyline which the doctor had just prescribed me. My shoulder now clicks all the time when I move it and it feels like the arm is heavy and pulling the shoulder out of joint.

The last day or so (a week after uping the amy to 10mg) it feels a lot better. Before that I was taking ibuprofen when I couldn't put up with it any more. Also used a wheat bag. Didn't find the gel did much for me. Doing stuff like carrying bags really made it worse. I also found I had to change the way I carry my handbag so it doesn't drag on my shoulder.

Hope your pain eases soon. x
Soapbubbles
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:58 am

Hi soapbubbles, sounds like the same problem. I can't open doors and the other day I tried to lift the bootlid of a car and it felt like my upper arm got wrenched. I can't carry stuff at the moment, even shutting curtains is painful, anything that involves lifting my arms up or putting them back like when putting a coat on.

I have been prescribed diazapam for neck problems so have taken them a couple of times. I can't take 'amytrips' as they stop me weeing?? Ibuprofen is out due to asthma.

Denys mentioned ibugel which helps a bit with muscular pain but it dosen't really touch this at the moment.

I'm glad you are finding relief.

Take care, all, and thanks for your help. :santchimney1: :santchimney1: :rudolph:
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby Soapbubbles » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi Flash,
I really sympathise. I can't imagine what it must be like to have this in both shoulders! Is co-codamol any good for you? I find it helps when other things fail.

I know what you mean about dressing and undressing. I have to try and pull stuff over my hips if I can as trying to take anything off over my head is so painful. I still have to watch I dont do too much, but at least the constant pain is better especailly when I rest. Getting comfortable at night is a challenge and I try pillows in all manner of positions to see what helps.

Best wishes
Soapbubbles
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Ahh, then ightly pillow fight, I know all about that. I have tried Volterol emugel it seems to have the edge over ibulieve for me. Anything containing codien makes me very constipated, which I know is common but I have circulation problems in my legs and another usual problem that goes with 'infrequency'. The usual laxitives etc don't help so would rather not go down that path if I can help it.

If it's not one thing...

Well, I hope everyone manages to have a good christmas and enjoy time with family and friends.
:xmastree1: :santchimney1: :snowing1: :rudolph: :hohoho1:

Take care and :grouphug: :grouphug:
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby cowsrock » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:45 pm

I have this all the time, like you have 2 cervacal neck bulges, I have just had a cortosone injection inbetween my shoulder blades to see if that help that hurt! am also on some slow release morphene tablets.

Hope you are feeing a lot better.

Hugs

Cowsrock.
cowsrock
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:24 am

Hi cowsrock, the shoulder hasn't got better, well not the left one anyway. The right side has calmed down to just an annoying ache but we're all used to that. The pain in the ribs turned out to be a lung infection which has been sorted with antidiotics.

The left shoulder has got worse, trouble is, I keep forgetting and use my arm when doing every day things. Getting dressed is painful and at times, I have just cut out that part and stayed in my PJs much to sons disgust.

I hope you got some relief from the cortizone injection, I'm not brave enough to try that.. :hugs:

I am trying to find a pain relief that doesn't cause constipation, stomache problems or weight gain but so far it seems a fruitless search. Paracetomols is all I am taking along with diazapam on my worst nights. So if there are any suggestions, anyone, feel free to share...

Take care all. X
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby Malibugirl » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi Flash

I have had FM for 25 years, mainly in my knees etc. But 5 years ago I started getting horrendous pain in one of my shoulders and then in both. They initially said I had bursitis / rotor cuff damage, then when I saw the surgeon as I was told they may operate, he told me that he didn't want to operate as he felt it was more connected to the FM! The pain comes and goes but is always worse if I over use my arms. I have had steroid injections and these really helped for a few months, but they will only give 3 in any one place a year. I really hope you get some relief. Gentle hugs to you :-?
Malibugirl
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jodie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi Malibugirl!

I just wanted to but in because you said you've had steroid injections in to your shoulder. Are you taking Calcium & Vit D suppliments because steroids strip calcium from your bones? I think this is less of an issue with injections because it is localised but I had a few injections and few quite lengthy doses of oral steroids and have to take A LOT of calcium supplements. Some doctors do mention this and give them to you and some don't, depending on how good your doctor is.
Jodie
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems